My 1st egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maryallison77, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am so excited about my 1st egg! I found it on Friday! It was right in the nestbox just like it is suppose to be! Yesterday I got 1 egg too! I have 16 hens and about half of them are close to laying ages. I have a good idea of who is laying them, but can't remember the type of hen she is. She is just a large plain black hen. She is suppose to have brown eggs and her egg is not exactually white. It is very small, but I just assummed is was cause she was new at this. I believe she is suppose to have normal sized eggs. I do have alot of bantam hens and I know their eggs will be smaller. Well, I am very thrilled with my chicken and their new trick--haha! We used the cute new egg in our cornbread the other night and it was sooooo yummy!

2. mtnnana

mtnnana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    new mexico
    congratulations.

we were just gifted by our first egg last week and have been getting on every other day. don't know which of our 20 4 1/2 mo. old hens is mommy. eggs are light brown and still small. we do know it is a nn.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Great isn't it? I got my first one last Sunday. Have 14 the same age but only one laying. We figure with housing, fencing, cost of birds and food the 7 eggs cost us about 200.00 dollars each. But the cost goes down with each egg.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I still get excited with EVERY egg. For a while my fiance was getting them before I came home, and then I whined on this board and now he waits and lets me get them. [​IMG] He is a sweetie.

6. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Congratulations! I love checking the nesting boxes. It's like getting presents everyday!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your first egg!!! It's so eggciting.!!! They'll get bigger as time goes on.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Awesome!

We got two today.. that's 10 in 9 days now. But only 5 of the 18 have laid an egg. Very expensive eggs still at this point.

9. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hi there everybody! I got another egg yesterday! It's like seeing if I won the lotto everytime I go out there--haha! Now I have hopes of getting more than 1 at a time! I love my chickens!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by