My 1st Incubator Arrived Today! How do YOU do the deed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnSuiter, Jun 27, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Well.. it's here!
    My first incubator, and here it is:
    [​IMG]

Got it today and getting ready to unpack it. My first eggs should be arriving mid next week from Southern Alabama (8 hours away), and yes from a BYC seller [​IMG]

So... what do you recommend as far as location & setup? I've been reading & reading here... I'm thinking, I should keep the incubator in an very oversized cardboard box to avoid drafts and assist with any room temperature fluxuations.

I guess, I'm wondering... how do you all have your set up and where?

I know that I should
    A.) Turn it on and let it regulate ASAP so it has ample time & I do as well to get to know it
    B.) Buy a wet bulb/dry bulb or hygrometer I think it's called and maybe even a second thermometer
    C.) Keep it out of the sun or near a/c vents

How do you keep track of it's performance over time? Do you go and check & write it down every hour or something? How do you know it's holding steady etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Find a closet centrally located in your house or a basement is good too, just
    not too humid.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I check my bator and write down the observations three times a day. Temp, humidity, if I add water and how much added, as well as candling results, and anything else that may happen.

4. mjolly

mjolly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Hate to hijak your post, but I have some questions too.

I too jsut got my first incubator... I am so excited. I set it up late this afternoon, plugged it all in, added water, checked the egg turner, inserted the hygrometer/thermometer, etc. It is a still air bator with a heating element in the lid.

It has been warming up since 4 pm and 6 hours later is reading 44% humidity and 78.3 degrees. I am wondering how to increase the temperature without decreasing the humidity. I know they affect one another, pressure/temperature/humidity and all that.

Did I add too much water? Or is there something I am missing??

Hopign to get this up and running this weekend for soem eggs due to arrive inthe mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Thank you,

Marva

5. DawnSuiter

Hey That's ok Mjolly! My eggs are due to arrive on Wednesday-ish so we'll be doing this at the same time basically!

No worries on the hijack... it's all good!

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Humidity sounds good. Temp to low. Still air should be between 101-102. Your instructions should tell you how to adjust the temp. If that fails then you will need to post the brand and number of your bator so someone can help you.

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    First get your temp regulated, then make adjustments to water. Do you have plugs on the top that you can remove to lower humidity. my still air LG actually worked great. Temp was stable, i had both plugs out during incubation ( kept them in a zip lock taped to the side) and then put both in along with a wet sponge and humidity came up perfectly.

Each time you make a temp adjustment give the bator a couple of hours to stabilize. once your eggs are in be cautious with temp changes, make small changes as need be and check quite frequently afterwards. I actually only had to touch the temp dial once, at day 10 I had a temp rise (probably from the eggs starting to generate their own heat) and had to turn the knob down ever so slightly. play with it now without eggs and you should be fine by the time you put them in.

8. DawnSuiter

Umm... how do I know what the temperature is after I assemble this thing? I mean.. I got it assembled, but I am afraid to turn it on in fear that I've tightened the screw too far,:| or that it's already set too high?

any guidance? anyone...?

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you look at the wafer, it should be close to the little trip switch not touching but maybe 1/4 inch away. Remember the wafer has to expand and touch the switch to turn the heat off. You can start from there. Leave the wing nut quite loose until you get it close to the right temp. Move quarter turns or less when it is getting close to the right temps.

10. DawnSuiter

Thanks Cindy, I had no idea how this thing works! That's fantastic.

Also... is it supposed to be dark? I noticed the light that is in there is certainly dim!

Does anyone know if my automatic turner tray motor adds heat? I know the plastic probably retains heat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by