My 2 1/2 year old chicken is not laying.

Chickens whisperers

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2018
Hello I’ve got a Rhode Island Red crossed with Plymouth black rock who is now 2 1/2 years old. About 2 years ago she was badly pecked by another hen and lost a lot of feathers. We eventually managed to resolve the pecking issue but she hasn’t layed since. She finally grew her feathers back about 3 months ago after her first moult. Is there anything we can do to get her laying again?

Hello there all of my other three chickens are all still laying ever day and aren’t slowing down yet. I just wanted to know if there was anything we could do to encourage her to lay again.

One is a light Sussex, silver link and a gold star on the marlow poultry website I don’t now what cross they are though, all are hybrids. We don’t have the old to bullies. And the one who isn’t laying is a nera

The commercial laying breeds lay much better during the fall and winter. In fact some individual hens will lay right through the molt. Regardless of which breed of chicken you keep you will enjoy more eggs in the Fall and Winter by supplementing your chickens' "ultraviolet" light. Be sure that any light bulb you use produces "ULTRAVIOLET" light.

Back
Top Bottom