My 2 hens have pasty butts, why?

Depending on how big the lump is, it might dissolve with soaking the chicken's butt (or chickens' butts) in warm water. Massage it under water and see if it breaks up like a clot of mud would. If it's really caked in there, you might be better off snipping the affected feathers, poop and all. Shorter feathers would be less likely to collect the poop too. It really helps to have another person to assist with holding the bird.

Realize that since you are dealing with, um, poop, you will want to wear gloves and clean and sanitize the sink or wherever you soak the bird. (You also have to get over the "ick" factor, if this kind of thing grosses you out.) Go slow, be gentle. Read some threads about giving a bird a bath for more info on that part of it, and how to catch them, calm them down. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Please post some photos of the pullets, their poop and where you are housing them.

You mention that you move them to a large kennel after dark until you feel like the coop is safe - what is wrong with the coop? What do you have to do to make it safe?

If you are moving them after dark - where are you moving them from and to?

At 5 months and they are laying eggs, it's probably fine to give them layer feed or you can feed an all flock/flock raiser feed. Provide oyster shell free choice. While your soil may have suitable grit (small rocks/stones), I recommend that you provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice as well.

You mention panic eating - how do you feed? Free choice in a feeder or at certain times of the day? Is the other pullet keeping one from the feeder?

I will attach pictures of them from this morning & where they are outside. You can see their back end in the pics & feeder.
I will order grit & oyster shell for free choice asap.

The feeder is enough for 2 days only because I have to put it away during the night due to rats & other critters. I fill it each morning with fresh crumble mix & check to be sure that they have enough 3 times a day on average, in case they spill it. So except while they are asleep they can eat & drink. They scream when it spilled in the past or when they are missing something. Or maybe I'm just suckered & they know if they pitch a fit I will come running, since I worry about predators.lol

I did not plan on their arrival, so I am still working to adapt the large outside dog kennel for them that was already on the property. They are outside in there all day. I definitely need help to finish it...

I live in the middle of the woods & worry at night, so they go from the outside kennel enclosure to an XL dog crate with a roost & temporary nest box. I clean it each day & that's on my porch elevated off the ground. Once the sun goes down, if I don't bring them inside they stay exposed, watching the house & pacing until I do. I feed them on the porch before bed because they flip out if they detect light & no food &water. But since they started laying the one who I am sure started laying first (CL) acts like she's starving (more than before). I make sure both get to eat enough but CL is definitely pushy. I'm hoping they will settle down once they can stay in one area 24/7. Maybe it has started to stress them to be moved?

I guess because I worked with dogs & cats all my life, when I see them acting like they are panicking about the food & they should not be, that their is something wrong. Something is missing... in their diet or they aren't absorbing what they need. Not sure that applies to chickens, but something doesn't seem right...
It won't let me open the pics I took on this device, so I will sign in from the other & post.

Please post some photos of the pullets, their poop and where you are housing them.

You mention that you move them to a large kennel after dark until you feel like the coop is safe - what is wrong with the coop? What do you have to do to make it safe?

If you are moving them after dark - where are you moving them from and to?

At 5 months and they are laying eggs, it's probably fine to give them layer feed or you can feed an all flock/flock raiser feed. Provide oyster shell free choice. While your soil may have suitable grit (small rocks/stones), I recommend that you provide poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice as well.

You mention panic eating - how do you feed? Free choice in a feeder or at certain times of the day? Is the other pullet keeping one from the feeder?
Outside kennel, inside temporary night cage, one from the back end & you can see the feeder.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 1556A705-6FA6-42FA-ABAA-67C57C9DA591.jpeg
    1556A705-6FA6-42FA-ABAA-67C57C9DA591.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 82CE5D09-6066-41DE-8E00-4FB6AAEFF4D9.jpeg
    82CE5D09-6066-41DE-8E00-4FB6AAEFF4D9.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 01FC0D84-1087-4776-9CFB-8EF02A8BA3F7.jpeg
    01FC0D84-1087-4776-9CFB-8EF02A8BA3F7.jpeg
    899.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 6F4DBB77-DBAF-4B36-BB43-2A71815796BF.jpeg
    6F4DBB77-DBAF-4B36-BB43-2A71815796BF.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 98EA28B1-5296-4E50-8A4B-2DB1AF9F885F.jpeg
    98EA28B1-5296-4E50-8A4B-2DB1AF9F885F.jpeg
    577.2 KB · Views: 8
Depending on how big the lump is, it might dissolve with soaking the chicken's butt (or chickens' butts) in warm water. Massage it under water and see if it breaks up like a clot of mud would. If it's really caked in there, you might be better off snipping the affected feathers, poop and all. Shorter feathers would be less likely to collect the poop too. It really helps to have another person to assist with holding the bird.

Realize that since you are dealing with, um, poop, you will want to wear gloves and clean and sanitize the sink or wherever you soak the bird. (You also have to get over the "ick" factor, if this kind of thing grosses you out.) Go slow, be gentle. Read some threads about giving a bird a bath for more info on that part of it, and how to catch them, calm them down. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I will look up giving them a bath on this website!
I think on the one I may have to carefully cut it off, but I’ll try soaking & trying to break it up first!
I don’t have a gross factor issue at all... so in this case a good thing for sure!
I do worry about stressing them out too much, & causing any harm to come to them in general! So I sincerely appreciate the advice!
I will update when completed!!!

What is a crumble mix? Are you adding anything to their feed?

I would raise the feeder off the ground, place it on block or brick.

They are finishing up the bag of Nutrena Nature Wise chick starter/ Grower 18% protein crumble.
I add dried herbs, small amount of DE & they get snacks of mealworms, crushed egg shell (since they started laying) & whenever I have fresh fruit & veggies that are safe I share + they love frozen watermelon rind from time to time.
I am going to purchase grit & oyster shell asap. And transition them to layer pellets (replacing the grower feed).

*As of tomorrow the feeder will be elevated!*

I already worked inside the enclosure today so they can start getting use to the changes now...

Outside kennel, inside temporary night cage, one from the back end & you can see the feeder.
Thank you for your help!
Do they not have an actual coop? Idk where you live, but that might be an issue when it starts getting cold, as far as frostbite is concerned.
Also it doesn’t look like they have anywhere to roost. If they are sitting in their butts all night that may be the cause of your problem. Chickens excrete 75% of their waste overnight.

Last edited:
They are finishing up the bag of Nutrena Nature Wise chick starter/ Grower 18% protein crumble.
I add dried herbs, small amount of DE & they get snacks of mealworms, crushed egg shell (since they started laying) & whenever I have fresh fruit & veggies that are safe I share + they love frozen watermelon rind from time to time.
I am going to purchase grit & oyster shell asap. And transition them to layer pellets (replacing the grower feed).

*As of tomorrow the feeder will be elevated!*

I already worked inside the enclosure today so they can start getting use to the changes now...
To wash them use a soap like you mentioned, but don’t use coconut oil. Their feathers won’t poof out again and won’t offer cold protection. You may ‘actually’ freeze their butts off.

Do they not have an actual coop? Idk where you live, but that might be an issue when it starts getting cold, as far as frostbite is concerned.
I live in Florida! We occasionally have a few very cold days a year. I am working on a coop none the less!
I had to focus on the heat & rainy season first.
If I was up to me they would have everything already (honestly I wouldn't have gotten them until I had it all done, but they were purchased for me & I had no idea I would ever have chickens).
I have so much space available, just doing what I can with what I have available to me for now... It's not safe to let them free range out here.

I live in Florida! We occasionally have a few very cold days a year. I am working on a coop none the less!
I had to focus on the heat & rainy season first.
If I was up to me they would have everything already (honestly I wouldn't have gotten them until I had it all done, but they were purchased for me & I had no idea I would ever have chickens).
I have so much space available, just doing what I can with what I have available to me for now... It's not safe to let them free range out here.
Ah gotcha. If you only have two hens, one of those prefab coops might work for you, they say they hold 6 chickens but they never do, they fit about 2. And it would fit nicely inside your run (I assume you have to watch out for gators 🐊 - yikes 😳)

Back
Top Bottom