My 2 year old hen has started to crow bright and early in the city...ideas?

Tobiai

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
My 2 year old EE hen has been crowing every morning between 6:30-8 am.
She repeats 5-10 times.
Someone must be bothered enough to call animal control who has came down our street looking for roosters...
I am attempting to upload video of offending crowing:
[VIDEO]
Any ideas on ways to lessen her noise?

My 2 year old EE hen has been crowing every morning between 6:30-8 am.
She repeats 5-10 times.
Someone must be bothered enough to call animal control who has came down our street looking for roosters...
I am attempting to upload video of offending crowing:
Any ideas on ways to lessen her noise?
I bet its a he not a she, but don't leave any lights on at night, you could put her in a dog cage, like the ones for in a house put a blanket over it at night then let it out in the day, your yard don't look like city liven, do you have ordit on roos not aloud, have you ever got a egg from her, if not I would bet she is a he

Sounds like the beginnings of a rooster as in when they first start to crow. However hens can become roosters or trans genders if there is no male around or they have hormone imbalances

If you've had this chicken its entire 2 years, I'll assume you're sure she's a she ;)

With that being said, its quite common for a hen to assume control of a rooster-less flock (without them being transgender). They'll cover all of a roosters duties, including crowing, tid bitting for treats and even mounting the others hens.

She is most certainly a she, lays lovely blue-green eggs. :)
Will try to post pics when I get home.
She only crows in the morning, but it really is quite loud in our residential city setting.
We have support/encouragement of all our known neighbors, in fact, when animal control came by looking for a rooster, they asked our next door neighbor if he knew of anyone who had chickens and he told them he didn't, to spare us the hassle. Thing is, we are all up to city code, and have nothing to hide, but certainly don't want to make a chicken hater out of someone who will make a fuss about chicken ordinances in our city.
Any way I can I discourage this behavior?

Yup, we are allowed up to 6 hens on our 6000sf lot, no roosters, in Providence, Ri.
We have 3 hens outside and 3 4-week old chicks brooding.
We know and are friendly with everyone on our street, but not the ones behind us. And the sound really carries...:(

Yup, we are allowed up to 6 hens on our 6000sf lot, no roosters, in Providence, Ri.
We have 3 hens outside and 3 4-week old chicks brooding.
We know and are friendly with everyone on our street, but not the ones behind us. And the sound really carries...
sad.png
Maybe some fresh eggs might go a long way to "mend fences" with that neighbor to the back of you? ... just thinkin' ...

I too have a hen that is 3 yo and started crowing last summer. We started with 6 hens about 4 years ago and we lost one or two until we just had Thelma and Rose left. Then a year and a half ago Thelma passed too and poor Rose has been lost ever since. We’ve thought about buying a couple of older hens to keep her company. She stopped laying even before Thelma passed and hasn’t layed since. My stepdaughter lives behind us and has started calling her Ross because of her crowing. 😂

Back
Top Bottom