My 2 year old Rhode Island Red has a bump on foot

Shadowglare

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
My Almost 3 year old Rhode Island Red hen has a small firm lump on her foot, and it hasn't grown. Would love to get someone else's thoughts since I'm not quite sure if it would be bumble foot since it doesn't match pictures that I've seen.

Attachments

• 20231122_220406.jpg
    20231122_220406.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 6
It could be. Its hard to tell from the top, sometimes. My girl, Molly got it like that once. What does the bottom of the foot look like?

That's interesting. When Molly had bumblefoot, she had a small black spot on the bottom of her foot. It seemed really tiny, but it had spread upward instead of outward. I don't know what your girl has; I'm sorry.

That's interesting. When Molly had bumblefoot, she had a small black spot on the bottom of her foot. It seemed really tiny, but it had spread upward instead of outward. I don't know what your girl has; I'm sorry.
That's fine, thank you. Maple is usually very vocal if she's hurting, but she has been acting normal. This chicken would limp to me with little chirps to tell me she has a thorn in her foot. I'll give her a bumblefoot treatment and I'll update you if it works or not. Very much appreciate the time you gave to respond.

That's so sweet! I'm glad she is acting fine, especially if she tells you when she doesn't feel good. That sounds like a good plan. Of course!

Those sort of bumps between the toes can be normal. If there is no redness/puss/infection or a black head signifying bumblefoot it is normal. Most importantly if it doesn't bother the chicken, if there are no signs of discomfort - raising the leg, looking at the leg, standing on one leg, etc.

I have an Easter Egger with such bumps on both feet and she is healthy, happy and has no issues. She has had them for years. I've had other chickens with a bump on one of the feet without any issues. I never figured out what they are, probably fat deposits or calcified cysts. They are too similar between different hens to be random injuries though. Could be something genetic/breed related as well.

If the chicken is not bothered by it and the are no outward signs of a problem just leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom