my 3 month old silkie pullet suddenly can't walk. Ideas?

Lynnk

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Hi, my pullet was fine in the morning, in with 2 others that hatched at the same time. they are fine. all my other birds are fine. She has no sign of runny nose, just found her on her side and she couldn't get on her feet. I brought her inside and have had her in for 3 days. she is eating and drinking fine and pooping normally. no diarrhea, no blockage. She does not seem uncomfortable if I put her legs through their range of motion, tries to use her wings to help her move around in her little box I have her in. Sleeps a fair bit, but when awake is bright and making happy little noises.

She does not appear sick, or have any obvious injuries. She was safe from other animals and other birds where she was in the coop. She doesn't get up on either leg.

one wing even seems weak, but I'm not really sure.

ideas anyone?

thanks

Lynn
hu.gif

Hi again, I see 21 people have viewed my post, but no one has responded...I'm guessing its because no one has any more understanding of what is going on than I do, which is not altogether unexpected, but any ideas at all are welcome!

I wonder if the other 2 will become symptomatic as well. It sounds a bit like Marek's. But you may want to try vitamins first , she may have a deficiency.

I thought of that too, but the only symptom in common is the neurological issue. No diarrhea, no lesions, no lack of appetite etc. Also, no newly introduced birds, brand new coop. I did however get the silkie eggs from a neighbour and incubated them. Could it have been infected as an embryo? I am trying to find that info on line, but it is hard to find that specific information. Does Marek's exist in the wild bird population? These young birds haven't been outside yet as I haven't been able to set up an area safe from the other chicks outside, they are separate inside though.

Marek's does not get passed through the egg to the chick. However, Marek's is found everywhere, air, dirt, wild birds. I've read that if your chicken breaths, it has been exposed to Marek's. Silkies are, for some reason, get Marek's more often than others...

Make sure your pullet is off of medicated starter and then start this vitamin regimen...it was given to me by a top poultry vet.

.5ml poly vi sol, without iron, daily
400 iu's of Vitamin E twice daily, you can put this on a small piece of bread.

Improvement should be seen within two weeks if it's a vitamin deficiency. Just be aware that this regimen can seem to 'cure' a marek's bird. However, the paralysis can be transient, comes and goes, and when it comes back, it does so with a vengeance. I learned this through a painful experience with a silkie of my own.

If your little girl dies, take her in for a necropsy so that you will know if it is Marek's or not. It's the only way to know for sure.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a deficiency!!!

Good luck!

Thank you for the info that is very helpful
cheers
Lynn

Hey... Im going thru the same thing with my silkie cockeral... hes about 4 mths, but first started limping, like he had a broken toe or something similar, and then over a few days had lost all his leg control, has his little toes scrunched up and is using his wings to get around as much as he can. its really distressing for him-and im not sure what it is either. Eating and pooing fine, not really drinking though. im taking him to the vet this afternoon, I will posy the outcome later on.

Mine recovered after a few days. She is doing fine now, but as some others told me, I am waiting to see if it comes back when she starts to lay. So far, she is fine. it lasted about 10 days roughly and i kept her inside then she just started getting stronger and suddenly was up and around.

but she didn't have any physical trauma. Yours sounds like he injured himself? perhaps he just didn't want to walk on it if it was broken? are both legs weak or just he one with the broken toe?

Sometimes, or alot with Marek's, we have to wait and see what happens , and if others come down with it. And having a good flock history, ages of chickens, how old were they when added, when were they added, contact with other chickens prior to yours....... It helps to figure out when it came into your flock.

she recovered completely and since then has shown no signs of any trouble. all good suggestions for sure..
Most of my birds were either hatched here, or have been here for years, and I have not had any other birds demonstrate any symptoms of any illness, let alone the neurological symptoms of the silky hen.

I'm not sure if it was Merck's or not, but I have no better idea at this point either. she just suddenly was on her feet and within 2 days or so was walking as if nothing happened.

go figure

Back
Top Bottom