My 3 weeks old baby chick isn't moving properly and always sitting down.

Omaruz

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Egypt
My little 3 weeks old baby chick isn't moving properly at all, unless I give her food and then she walks a little and eats but that's it. I think she is not even walking much to the food now, but walking like in the video below. She was active a week ago. Now she's ALWAYS sitting down.. She keeps her eyes open most of the time, though.

Her 2 sisters are fine and very active, so I don't know what it is. Please help.

Video:

Photo 1: https://ibb.co/p0JpTqq

Photo 2: https://ibb.co/k9KnBJb

What does her poop look like?
Any swelling of the joints?

I would try giving her some poultry vitamins that contain B2 (Riboflavin) to see if that makes a difference.

Maybe a slipped tendon? I’m not an expert. But my 2 day old chick hasn’t been able to walk at all and I thought it was splay leg but just realized after more research that it is due to a slipped tendon. I made her a chick chair and vet wrapped her legs straight. Might be worth checking the tendons on your chick. Hope you can figure it out.

What does her poop look like?
Any swelling of the joints?

I would try giving her some poultry vitamins that contain B2 (Riboflavin) to see if that makes a difference.
I think her poop looks just fine with a brown color. How to check for swelling of the joints? Also is there a natural source for B2? There aren't any poultry shops around where I live.

Maybe a slipped tendon? I’m not an expert. But my 2 day old chick hasn’t been able to walk at all and I thought it was splay leg but just realized after more research that it is due to a slipped tendon. I made her a chick chair and vet wrapped her legs straight. Might be worth checking the tendons on your chick. Hope you can figure it out.
How do I check for a slipped tendon? Thank you!

I think her poop looks just fine with a brown color. How to check for swelling of the joints? Also is there a natural source for B2? There aren't any poultry shops around where I live.
Check her legs - do you see any swelling of the toes, feet, joints, etc.?
If you can get pictures of her legs that would be good.

You can try giving her some egg to see if that helps. You can also use human vitamins. I would look for B Complex.

What are you feeding the chicks?

Check her legs - do you see any swelling of the toes, feet, joints, etc.?
If you can get pictures of her legs that would be good.

You can try giving her some egg to see if that helps. You can also use human vitamins. I would look for B Complex.

What are you feeding the chicks?
I'm mostly feeding them chopped hard boiled eggs with soft wet corn (all feed stores around have only food for laying hens so I had to come up with something). I feed them treats (veggies & fruits) with grit here and there too. I will try to get a pic of her leg asap! Thank you.

I'm mostly feeding them chopped hard boiled eggs with soft wet corn (all feed stores around have only food for laying hens so I had to come up with something). I feed them treats (veggies & fruits) with grit here and there too. I will try to get a pic of her leg asap! Thank you.
I would try to get some vitamins as well. Human vitamins can be used. B-Complex or if you can get infant/children vitamins without iron, those would be o.k. for a couple of days a week as well.

Back
Top Bottom