My 4 yr old got attacked by my roo- any advice for prevention?

Oh by the way we did decide that eventually my 2 roos, Mr. Prince roo who was the nice one and one of our big Brahmas will definitely go! This guy in the morning decided to see who was boss with my hubby after he let them out in the morning. Haha- my hubby said he smacked that boy with a dvd he had in his hand( was being returned) when Mr. Prince Roo jumped up at him then he picked him up and held him then shook him upside down for a sec. I am laughing, although I know it is not that funny. But he hasn't done it again!

Last edited:
We have a roo who I had hatched and loved from day one. He was my Polish hen's son and also the son of our aggressive d'Uccle roo. I treated this chick with love and treats and plenty of hugs from the start. Came back from sleep-a-way camp that summer and saw how he had grown. A few days later I was sitting down and felt something jump on me. I looked behind me and saw him staring dead-on at me with his hackles up and his spurs ready. I gave him a few hard kick, as painful as it sounds, but it didn't matter. He only got worse from there and attacked my favorite roo many times. He's a beast that will never be taught.

I still can't bring myself to do anything with him. I'm totally against culling him myself or eating him. Every time he goes against my 'un-spoken words', I make sure he understands for the moment being. I'm the only one he has a problem with. We were recently offered to give him to a local friend's farm so he could be a breeding roo and then be dinner. I can't so that. I can't get rid of my baby, and that's what he'll always be.

Since then, I've learned something VERY important. Don't breed a mean roo. The offspring will be just as bad as ol' Daddy, unless Mommy has VERY strong genes. These days I'm getting death glares from both Dad and Son. No one wants a mean roo.

Here's my guy. A little demonic looking, but he's still our Pretty Boy.
Dash2.jpg

See what I mean by death glare?

mean isnt a genetic trait,,,, i have a roo that everyone says how mean he is ( im the only person allowed in his yard) and i have lots of his sons,, and some are sweet as heck,,,, 1 of the worst things you can do is be "lovey" with a roo, even when he's young,, he will take you as another "bird",, and usually take you as another roo,, which, in nature and instincts,tells him that you and him need a pecking order. 1 of you need to be boss,,, and YOU being boss needs to be shown EVERY time you interact with him,, if you walk through the run, and walk near him, if he doesnt back away and "let you through" with a subordinates posture,, then when ya get by him, kick ( push hard with side of foot) him outta the way. if he tries to "mount" a hen while your standing there, go over and kick him off her, and chase him away. after bout a month of doing that EVERY day,, you'll only need to re-assure your boss once in a while ( which means at least once a week).

I had my favorite "baby" roo too. I hesitated getting rid of him, couldn't do it myself, hard to find someone to take a roo (the days before craigslist), all the old excuses. I was the only one he attacked, but then I spent more time with the chickens than the other members of the family. He was sweet for about two years.

One day, while filling the feeder, he jumped me (I did not know he was coming) and hit me with his spur, punctured my wrist and damaged the nerve! He was gone that day via shotgun. All I could think about was that he might have done that to my son who was 13 at the time and very much into playing saxophone. He is now about to graduate and earn a music degree. He might have been damaged by that roo to the point where he could not play his sax...I would never forgiven myself.

I tried the "alpha roo" approach, but to no avail. We rest much easier now that he is gone, and, I watch all my roos for signs of too much aggression.

kmmp

Back
Top Bottom