My 7 chickens won’t stop pecking this one chicken

secilyfrigon

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
Hello I have 7 silver Laced Wyandottes and 1 Golden laced Polish and all 7 slws pull the feathers out of the polish one so he has no tail feathers and there 12 weeks old how do I stop this?

Hello I have 7 silver Laced Wyandottes and 1 Golden laced Polish and all 7 slws pull the feathers out of the polish one so he has no tail feathers and there 12 weeks old how do I stop this?
I have two Runners that I bought together at the same time and the one does this to the other one. I separated them for weeks with a big predator proof pen that would let it's hatch mate sit and look at it but could not touch it. It still tries to pick at it weeks later but there is no blood so I am leaving them all together for now. I think I would make sure she was in a separate place where they could see her but not touch her for a while and see if that helps. If they are drawing blood they will probably continue to do that until they kill her so you would be best to probably rehome her at that stage. Sorry this is happening to you too. These birds are enough to drive us crazy at times with their strange behavior. Are yours all the same sex? I was thinking my picker might be a male but I am not sure as it is still too young to tell for absolute sure. Good luck with yours.

Rehome the Polish ASAP, crested birds like Silkies and Polish usually don't do well in mixed flocks with 'normal' breeds and will be picked on, sometimes even scalped or killed.
Their overgrown crests make them vulnerable as they cannot see well enough to notice the attacks or defend themselves.

Rehome the Polish ASAP, crested birds like Silkies and Polish usually don't do well in mixed flocks with 'normal' breeds and will be picked on, sometimes even scalped or killed.
Their overgrown crests make them vulnerable as they cannot see well enough to notice the attacks or defend themselves.
We cut off his hair yesterday into like a mullet to try to make him more aware on who is coming after him in going to try it out for just today and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom