My adventures in rabbit breeding

Day 32. Nothing's changed--no more nesting, no kits yet. I tried to gently feel her tummy while she was having breakfast, but she wouldn't let me. Not sure what to think, though I know there's still time. I think Ms Pms may get replaced.

Day 32. Nothing's changed--no more nesting, no kits yet. I tried to gently feel her tummy while she was having breakfast, but she wouldn't let me. Not sure what to think, though I know there's still time. I think Ms Pms may get replaced.

Right, it's still within the "normal" gestation period, so she could kindle at any time (and definitely not when you're watching, lol). I hope she has her kits soon so you can relax.
wink.png

So, the buns live in the garage, attached to the house and are used to comings and goings, the garage door opening, etc. Right now with Paws hopefully ready to pop anytime, I try and be careful with too much excitement, but we did open the door to put some new coffee chaff away. I was just outside chatting with a neighbor, and we heard noise from Paws' cage. She had been lying down looking pissy, but she was hopping up with only her back legs. She did this jump whatever about 10 times. Is this impending labor behavior?

Well, I just went out to check quick before heading down to bed, and thankfully noticed the fur moving. I have six wiggly little ones! But a couple questions if anyone gets this tonight.

Now, Paws did not pull anywhere close to as much fur, nor did she stuff the box with hay like Apple did. All six were in the very front of the nestbox too, rather than the back more enclosed. So I did a quick check, then moved them to the back and added more fur that I've been saving from grooming. But, most didn't appear to have been fed well. A probe thermometer stuck into the nest is only reading at about 87. I can bring them inside if needed, but thought it might be good to leave for a bit to see if she feeds them again. Or I can try and hold them to her to nurse, then keep overnight. Any suggestions?

Update. All kits are still doing well. DH did bring the box in at a point in the night, and I returned it this morning. We will keep an eye, but all are quite wiggly.

So, the buns live in the garage, attached to the house and are used to comings and goings, the garage door opening, etc. Right now with Paws hopefully ready to pop anytime, I try and be careful with too much excitement, but we did open the door to put some new coffee chaff away. I was just outside chatting with a neighbor, and we heard noise from Paws' cage. She had been lying down looking pissy, but she was hopping up with only her back legs. She did this jump whatever about 10 times. Is this impending labor behavior?
This is thumping or stomping; a behavior that rabbits show when they are frightened or excited about something. If you haven't heard/seen her do this before, it's possible that she was reacting to hearing an unfamiliar voice.
idunno.gif

Good call on bringing the box in. I believe in better safe than sorry; Heaven knows, I've been sorry enough times!

First time mothers often don't really come into their milk for a couple of days; as long as the kits are getting something, you're good. I know a lot of people talk about holding the doe down, but I haven't had much luck with that. In fact, one doe I had that had previously been an attentive mother abandoned her litter after that much interference from me (she had only managed to raise a couple kits out of a couple of litters; come to find out, she only had two functional teats). If I think a doe isn't feeding, I put the box in a carrier that is only slightly larger than the box, put the doe in the box, and close the lid on the carrier. Trapping the doe in the box like that seems to upset the doe less; most of mine only need one or two such sessions for them to get the idea. The only times when it hasn't worked has been does that had no milk for some reason, and that has been a good way for me to find that out, too.

Thank you both for everything. I was much better prepared for this one, and the outcome might have been different had I not been following along and asking my random questions for the last few months. I'm so glad I had been saving the extra fur!

Interesting about the thumping. I hadn't seen that behavior before. My buck is cute in the morning when I go out for feeding--he hops in circles around his cage making as much noise as possible to get my attention.

Just now when checking, I noticed a small smear of fresh blood on the floor of Paws' cage. Is this something concerning, or just keep an eye out. Kindling was about 15-16 hours ago.

Back
Top Bottom