My almost 10 week olds roosting on top of their "coop".

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuntrychick, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    My hubby has still not got finished with the new coop for everyone to house together. My almost 10-week old chicks' "coop" is their watermelon brooder box converted into a temporary coop inside a dog kennel.

Hubby cut a hole in the side of the watermelon box for their "door". It has 2 little roosting bars in there. It has PVC covered with 1/4" hardware cloth lid. The dog kennel roof & back & part of the sides are covered with metal. Only the front & maybe a ft. On each side has no metal.

The chicks go into their dog kennel run at night, then into their "coop". Then, right before it gets dark, they come out & get on top of it...up there on the hardware cloth lid.

Then, I go out there & put them one by one into their coop from the top of it & have to have my flashlight shining in there until they all decide where they're going to roost.

I've never had this issue before. All the chickens I've ever had learn to go in after a few nights, but I've also never had a watermelon box "coop" either LOL.

Hubby thinks I need to just let them be...let them stay on top of the coop if they want. They are closed up in the dog kennel. He says they wanna go to the highest place & that is the highest place. I've tried to prop up the lid where it's sort of slanted so they can't get on top of it, but I can't figure out how to do that. But hubby says they will be fine up there.

They do have a roof over their heads being up there since the dog kennel is covered. Should I let them stay up there if they want or continue to put them back in there?

If only hubby would hurry & finish the new coop...

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Well if the dog run just has a tarp over it a racoon will get in very easy! So I would put them in the watermelon box though your DH is right they are just trying to get to the best place (they think) to sleep though it is not as safe as the box.

Happy-Hens

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most chickens like to roost as high as possible. It has to be predator proof though. Night is their most vulnerable time.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

I know they are in the card board box but the dog house or kennel is it completely closed up. Can anything get in there? If they can the kids are done!! I know they are high as they can get but they are trapped when the opossum gets in there or a raccoon? You will be very sad for not getting him to get the coop finished to be safe.

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:I thought mine would sleep in the dog houses but they prefer the roosts outside the houses, but still inside the kennel too and I have decided this is great! I'll design all my coops this way from now on. They use the doghouses as nesting boxes and never poop in them. I have just tried to make sure the kennel is as secure and warm as possible.

6. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by