My Alpha Roo is scared! What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theegghunter, Jun 3, 2010.

1. theegghunter

theegghunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    My Alpha Roo, Rocky, has always been the "head honcho" so to speak. We have several other roosters, but have had them. All of a sudden within the last two weeks, he is scared of ALL the chickens, stands alone, and doesn't even crow anymore! Has he lost status or is something wrong? He is eating and drinking fine, no weight loss, no marks of an attack either. Grew up with chickens, but usually just collected the eggs so I am in the dark! Any kind of help would be apprieciated! We really love him! (I am really attached to all my chickens, they ALL have names:D)YIKES!!!

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yes, it sounds like he has lost status. I bet one of your other roosters challange him and won. I would not worry to much he will shake it off.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    xanex helps. Will calm him right down.

Seriously - you have a rooster that is no longer the head guy. Keep an eye out for the one that acts all tuff.

4. theegghunter

theegghunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Thank you all so much! I was afraid of that, but it is much better than him being ill!!
    M.F....Yeah, at first I thought I had dropped a xanax and he had found it!!hehe j/k!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by