My ameraucana hen is in a coma type state - help please

harejonze

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Over the last few days this week my 8 month old ameraucana hen Goldie has suddenly been becoming more and more lethargic and sleeping throughout the day. She would wake up periodically to move around the yard & fall asleep again. At night she'd go into the coop as usual. I noticed that she did eat but not a lot, and she drank a lot the first day and less as the days continued. I began to search what might be ailing her. Called the feed store, they said because she was on the bottom off the pecking order, she was overwhelmed and needed to be separated to become better. I felt right away that this was not the cause, because she doesn't get bullied all the time and is always eager to be first at food regardless. I thought maybe her crop...nope. Worms? I went to the feed store and bought a de-wormer ( even though I saw no evidence in stools ) which have been generally watery with some solids. I brought her into the house yesterday so she wouldn't get too cold in the night and used a dropper to give her the de-wormer. She ate a little cucumber and broccoli last night before 8pm. Today she has not even opened her eyes without being handled. She is now sleeping and her body is completely limp. I gave her some organic plain yogurt today hoping the probiotics might help if anything is ailing her insides. I have no idea what is wrong& have read a lot now. We just don't have the resources to pay vet prices right now and they consider chickens as exotic animals and I'm afraid they'd just recommend to put her down. Can anyone help? Can she still be saved?

What was the wormer you used? Most wormers are worm-specific and will not get all types. As sick as you're describing her, I don't think she's got much of a chance right now. If you have quick access to Valbazen or another broad-spectrum wormer, then you'll need to give it to her quickly. In her weakened state - she needs electrolytes and vitamins in her water, and a good dose of protein (canned cat food works well). I wish you the best.

Thank you for your advice. Goldie is still alive this morning. The de-wormer I had given to her the day before yesterday was Wazine17. I realized when I got home from the feed store that it only treats round worms. The feed store told me it treated almost everything. Lol! I'm not even sure if she has worms or not. I haven't seen any yet, I'm just going by her symptoms & my research. Her poop is completely liquidy, brown & very stinky. I had to hose out her backside yesterday & her anus was swelled from the looks of it. All in all, she has been continually sleeping for the last four days now. Yesterday I hand fed her some pedialite & probiotics that I bought at whole foods. She seemed to perk up immediately after feeding & kept her eyes open for almost a minute before closing again. After her feeding she had also moderately moved herself into more comfortable positions throughout the night, which she was unable to before. I'm completely stumped on her condition. She doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but also no better. I felt frustrated last night & was thinking of culling her, so she wont have to suffer. The only thing is that she doesn't seem to be suffering at all, just sleeping peacefully. She opens her eyes and looks at me when I nudge her or make a loud noise. My finances cannot support a trip to the vet who considers my hen "exotic", & I cant have a stool sample analyzed unless I go in for a consultation with her $$$. I don't know what to do now & at this point if I should be worried about my other 4 hens. Please help!

Back
Top Bottom