my Ameraucana sounds like a kazoo when she breaths, then sneeze/coughs

Spoiled Birds

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Virginia
barnie.gif
I have never heard a chicken make this sound!!!!
I just read some old threads that have also had Ameraucana's that did the same thing and feel better in 24 hours.
Another site said treat w/antibiotics. Even someone's avian vet was clueless.
she was fine this morning, had shade in the 77 degree dry weather, plenty of water and food. no grass treats today.
she's sitting on my lap and that worries me very much!
hit.gif

i saw her poop, not solid but not water, mostly normal.
seems like 1 eye may be watering too.

Sounds like a respiratory infection. Treat with Tylan mixed in the flocks water. It is very contagious. Tylan powder can be found at most farm stores or ordered online. I don't like the injectable. Too many used syringes, not to mention the additional cost and who wants to chase down each chicken every day for the duration of the treatment.

Some of the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis or IB, mycoplasma (MG or CRD,) coryza, and ILT can have similar symptoms, and all can be complicated by secondary infections. Most of these make carriers of the flock for life, except for IB, which makes carriers for up to a year. Tylan 50 injections or oxytetracycline are good antibiotics to start with if suspecting one of those diseases if only to prevent secondary infections. Make sure that your coop has excellent ventilation, no dust or wet conditions, and no ammonia odors, all of which can promote respiratory disease. Here is a link about these diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I have an Ameraucana who, every time the weather changes in any significant way, starts wheezing and coughing. Maybe it IS an Ameraucana thing--I've never heard of that before! You should isolate her and see how she is in the morning. Mine is always fine by the end of the day. I used to freak out about it (having dealt with a very serious respiratory infection that killed several of my favorite hens), but it's happened 3 or 4 times in the past year or so, and every time, she's completely over it by the next day.

Thanks for the link I don't really seem to e any of the usual(but did figure out what the cause of 1 of my previous troubles w/other chickens. As long as I keepher calm its easier on both of us. I got her todrink and eat soe. I held her foward and rubbed her crop, she didn't vomit. She has pooped ALOT and each one is different. I sure hope she feels better in the morning. I hate when my chicks get sick!!!

Update on 'Wikit'
She's still sounding like a kazoo.
Good thing is she's
still with me
Still eating
Still drinkiing
And the calmmer she is the less it is.
I put a sheet over the cage so it would be darker, maybe shed sleep better. I looked at my farm stores for the TYLAN, they only had regular antibotic and didn't know what I was talking about. The girl said she has Ameraucanas and its never happened to them ??
I'll look at Tractor Supply tomarrow.

On another note what do you do about a 6 month old Black Jersey Giant roo that you have to keep showing who's the bigger roo? I had had him where he'd go away when I was comming near (for about maybe 2 weeks I think) Then today as I was leaving the coop after filling a food bucket and getting a egg he did his shuffle behind me. When I turned back toward him he came closer. Conclusion... 3 slaps and a kick found himself in solitary for the night. Now what,I'm not a cull and eat kind of person.

Back
Top Bottom