MY BABIES ARE 2 WEEKS OLD AND LOOKING KINDA SCRUFFY!

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
My babies are just about 2 weeks old well almost and getting the big kid feathers. But they are really scruffy looking in spots just wondering if that was normal, some more than others seems like it is more noticible on the yellow and lighter colored ones, no one is acting sick all are eating( alot) of chick starter non medicated. And they go through alot of water so I dont know. They did kinda peck at each other in the begining, again more some than others, but pretty much stopped that. I guess it is more of a thinning of the fuzz than bald spots. And they kinda scratch themselves sometimes. I have checked for mites but i couldn't see anything on them. My son seems to think they all seem normal, but hes never owned a chicken either.
big_smile.png
So just want to make sure everything is good with them. I would post pics but my camera doesn't do good in the house for some reason they all turn out too dark!
idunno.gif
thanks for the imput. Sandy
ps. Just wanted to add that one of my little LB boys has started just stepping up on my hand when i put it in the brooder he is so cute. So that makes my 2 girl BA and him really are starting to trust me! I feel kinda special, they don't do it for my sons. JUST ME!
tongue.gif

Last edited:
big_smile.png
yep they do like to try! I had to put screens over the box to keep my little Ameraucana girl in since I came home from work and she was just hangin out on the side lookin for all the world like a big girl!
frow.gif

I noticed that too on my RIW up around the neck area I was always looking at them to see if they were pecked on but they weren't just there feathers on there necks hadn't grown in and now they are beautiful with full foilage..I love my chickens..

Good to know! And my chicks are feathering out really fast I guess I just thought that they would be little fluffy chicks for a while longer. I guess they will look scruffy for a while and then get pretty again, I hope! Thanks for the imput Sandy I will still love em anyway! LOL

Quote:
yeah, the Ameraucanas aren't doing that, but the light brahma, buff orps, ca whites, and the golden sexlinks are all doing the scruffy thing. oh and the BA aren't either just the light colored ones are. Thanks Sandy

Back
Top Bottom