My babies are dying.......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Remudamom, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I had nine little banties, Polish, Hamburgs, and some mystery chicks. Six were dead this morning. Last night they were all fine.
    This morning some were dead and others dying. Only three left, who look fine. Any ideas? They were aroun 1-2 weeks old.

2. davisfamily

davisfamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Water tainted?
    Too cold or drafty?

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Shouldn't be any of those things. The only different thing is that I moved them outside in their little coop yesterday while I put down fresh shavings inside.

4. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    What kind of shavings did you use?

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    In addition to the questions from the others, are you using a shatter proof heat lamp? There are some threads here on BYC about the dangers of these bulbs. They are coated with Teflon. Teflon can release toxic fumes when it is exposed to heat for an extended period of time. The shatter proof bulbs were something new to me this year. Some of these bulbs are marked as safe for chicks but they actually are not. I bought one a few weeks ago but just found out recently about the Teflon. Luckily I don't have my chicks yet. I have already bought another bulb that is safe. I will take back the shatterproof one the next time I go to the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by