My babies are trying to fly. Too soon??? And 1 is still scared of me :(

WittyMC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I am a new Chicken mom in NC (new to Chickens, AND my chicks are fairly new)
I purchased 2 Silkie Bantams and 2 RIR two weeks ago and it was estimated they were a week old then. Very quickly I became addicted to them and to reading the threads on this site! So Thank You all for taking the time to provide such valuable information to us newbies!
My 2 RIR are feathered on their wings and growing up fast. Is it normal for them (is there such as thing as "normal" behavior in a chick?) to start flying around the bottom of the brooder? One loves to eat out of my hand and she tries to creep up my arm, constantly eyeing the top of the box. Both of them will fly towards each other them stare each other down. I am getting a lid for the box today but worried all night they would fly out and fall!
Second part, the 2 silkies are getting along great with the RIR but one will NOT come to my hand even though they other ones will jump right into it. She eats non stop but is growing a little slower than the other 2.
Any thoughts?

CHICKENS ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PERSONALITY'S JUST LIKE PEOPLE. YOU KNOW LIKE THAT ANTI SOCIAL NEIGHBOR! THEY MATURE AT DIFFER ANT RATES TOO. JUST LIKE KIDS ONE TALKS BABY TALK AT TWO AND ANOTHER COULD WRITE A BOOK .

Chicks will flap their wings/start trying to jump up on stuff and roost from a very young age. I put a little roost in my brooder when they were one week old and by week two lots were sleeping on it. And yes, they love to have a "face off" and posture at each other from a very young age, and that behavior continues all the way into adulthood since it's part of establishing pecking order. So, that sounds perfectly normal to me. Like the post above me says, they do all have different personalities too. I had a leghorn and an australorp in my last batch of chicks that were incredibly outgoing and would come right up to my hand and watch, but the reactions of the others ranged from total disinterest to panic lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom