My baby duck can't walk!

SaraJW

Hatching
7 Years
May 28, 2012
I inherited a baby duck who is only about 3 days old. It can not use it's legs properly and its mama duck rejected it. It flips over onto its back a lot when it tries to walk. It seems almost as if its legs don't bend properly. He is really sweet and alert despite everything else. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help him and try to save him? I'm afraid it will just be worse as he gets bigger, but I don't know much about ducks. I would love to be able to keep him as a pet if he is savable.

Without being able to see your little one- my first suggestion is to get some multivitamins for it. The flipping over can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. There could also be some kind of deformity or injury to the leg/s if it cant walk.
There a a few different kinds of vitamins that you could buy- one is something you should find at any pet shop- vitamins for caged birds like budgies- or from a feed store you should be able to find a powder mix for poultry.

Good luck with your little one- I hope it is a little fighter and is soon running around like nothing was ever wrong.

Sounds almost certainly like a Niacin deficiency to me. They sell tablets at the Pharmacy, which you can break into their water, or sprinkle on their food. Brewer's yeast in their feed is also a good thing.
Good luck, and let us know how the wee one fares.

I agree with the above poster.

How are you keeping the duckling? Have you got an incubator? They need heat to stay alive at that age. Also what are you feeding it? Medicated chick starter food is very bad for ducklings and will make them ill.

Who gave you the duckling and what are their other ducklings like? Are they healthy?

I agree with what has been written! It sounds like a niacin defiency, I have gone threw it once and going through it for a second time with an 8 week old we rescued.....I never gave the pure Niacin. If you have a Tractor Supply store near you, all I did was mix Nutri-Drench and Vitamin/Electrolyte powder in their water......has worked WONDERS! They should be right next to each other and in the chicken isle! He's young and should bounce right back!

i agree vitamin defficiencythough if its mother rejected it maybe it has a deformity or injury well i pretty muck agree with duckyfromoz(quackaholic) actually i completly agree

Back
Top Bottom