My baby Jersey Giant can't walk!!!

ttrjpbcz

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
PA
She was fine this morning.,....she is inside only with very tiny babies 1/4 her size and she is only little born Aug 3. she is in the house in a clean brooder, I have no idea what could have happend. I went in to play with them and check food and she way laying weird and I picked her up and she was all sweaty underneath and her one leg is all pulled up and she can't stand!!! What could've happend??? She is my pride and joy, I don't know what to do for her!!! Please help!!

please give more info on her (why you say she is so small for instance ) and what you have been feeding etc.
you will need to ensure she is able to drink since she will not be able to get to the feed and water container the others drink and eat out of (help yourself by dribbling water along the beak at regular intervals) >put electrolytes in the waterer . You may need to help with hand feeding her too... add baby parrot handfeeding formula to the feed (this is a powder you mix with water.you can get it at the pet store >make to a porridge consistency mix her normal feed through it) Give three drops of POLYVISOL Enfamil in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next.

I don't know what size a typical GJ is for this age, but she is smaller than the BO that were hatched Aug 16 and she hatched Aug 3. She is very thin, but I thought that is normal as she is going through her teenage stage. She drank when I put water up top her and pecked at some food. I totally looked her over, and the only thing I notice is that she is very thin, has bald spots under wings and belly from baby fur falling out and feathers coming in is what I thought. And she seems disorientated, when I tried to get her to stand and walk, she looked drunk even and laid back down. She has been in a brooder with 15 other hatchlings that she has kinda been mothering. My husband says maybe she wasn't moving much because she was afraid to step on them etc. They would all cozy up under her wings and I thought it was a good thing, but I wonder if that enviroment wasn't good. I have now seperated her, washed up her put her under the lamp and given her fresh food and water. I don't have the other things you are talking about until tomorrow,
She is now eating layer crumble non medicated because the medicated starter feed gave everyone bad runny stools. I did mix them before switching over. I do add a little grit to their food, they sleep on alpine or pine shavings. She came from MAria Hall and the roo I got who I put in with my RIRs that were about his size is doing great, I couldn't leave him with the babies because he was rough, and she was so sweet with them and the RIRs were pecking at her so that is why they were seperated. Maybe she is stressed because of him not being there?
We are very clean, she has been in the house, changed everyday and very loed. I have no idea what could have happened.
Thank you for any other thoughts!!

try and get the things dlhunicorn suggested..
the POLYVISOL is available at most pharmacies..even some grocery stores and Walmart..

this chick sounds like she is weak..and needs feed and vitamins..see if she will eat some scrambled egg mixed with her feed..
make sure she is warm..

please describe the droppings in detail..color and consistency..
is she showing any other symptoms..wheezing or wet eyes..

well I can't sleep, I keep going in to check on her, I have her under heat because it's cool in the house 65ish, but then i think if she has fever that isn't helping her! And she isn't getting up to poop so I keep washiing up her underside, her breast bone is just so exposed!
I thought maybe she was laboring to breathe, but I think that is only when I am messing with her trying to get her organized and then she seems to settle. She is very very weak..I am so worried.
I am running to the feed store first thing to get the things suggested, I don't have them here so I am just praying until then. Her eyes are fine, she is making some noise, but I don't think it is wheezing. She just has her legs tucked up under her and then limp when you try and stand her and when she lays, she plops to the one side, could never perch or anything in this state.
I am just devestated..........she is the sweetest girl.I can't imagine if she doesn't get better.

Her poo is mustardy in color. Not beady like brown mustard, but more that color. No mucus, blood or anything, but on the mustard side of texture, hard to get out of her feathers without water.

Thank you for your help and thoughts. If you pray, please pray for her, she really is the sweetest thing....I feel so helpless right now.

so because I can't get to a store at 3am, I just scrambled her eggs and mixed some feed with activia yogart that has probiotics in it.

SHE IS EATING THE EGG!!!!!! I am so encouraged that at least I will get to the store to get the other things by morning!

She pood again, and this time there was some white on the outer part of the poo. Does that mean something?

ok, I just was reading some of the other posts and found out about the crop being impacted. I can feel a sac there and I can actually feel the grit of her food in it. It isn't hard as a rock, but is bulging. I mixed olive oil with scrambled egg and a little feed with a few drops of hot water and mixed and fed that to her this morning. She ate it, but still can't stand. She definitely look really weak, could this be it? Someone please advise. I am heading to the feed store now for antibiotics, vitamins and anything else everyone mentioned.
Thank you!

She still isn't standing, we have been doing everything mentioned and getting her in as much sun as possible. Can someone please advise as to what I could try now? I am scared for her!!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom