My baby quails are getting poo stuck to their bottom...

quailhaven

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 18, 2014
When this happens, its very likely that they die a day later because they don't eat or I don't know. HELP!

They are probably dying if dehydration. That's what hens with most small animals when they have wet poo. Hope you can get it figured out.

People will want to know some things.
How many?
species?
Temperature of brooder? (Or if they are with a broody hen)
Size of enclosure?
Substrate?
Feed?
water schedule?
are you providing any supplements?

Last edited:
You can soak their butts in warm water to get the butt clean. Blow dry them off when they are clean so they don't chill. This is called pasty butt. It is caused by a few things...number one is dehydration. Always dip beaks in the water the moment you put them in the brooder. Next is high heat or too cool of temps. Anything that causes stress like shivering or over heating will cause the poop to become sticky and stick to the butt feathers and vents. So watch your brooder temps. You can put some apple cider vinegar in their water or even probiotics to help calm the digestive tract. Apple cider vinegar is mixed 3/4 teaspoon per quart of water, plastic only waterer, changed and made new each day. Human grade probiotics work as well. Open one capsule and dump contents into a 1 quart plastic waterer. Change and make new daily.

It is one of these things that is causing pasty butt. Good luck and keep us posted!

My breeder says to feed rolled oats. This helps with pasty butt. I hope you find something that works.

My breeder says to feed rolled oats. This helps with pasty butt. I hope you find something that works.
This may help, but you shouldn't need to feed them anything besides quail starter, for healthy pooping. If you follow the directions TwoCrows gave, you'll never have a problem with it. I might have 1 chick that gets it ever few hundred. Teach them to drink right away and make sure brooder temp is dialed, and you won't see it anymore.

I do try and make them drink, I dip their beaks in the water. I feed them chick crumbs crushed up into really small pieces. Out of 12, only 5 got it. They all eat the same food, but its strange that it only seems to be the white coloured ones.

Thanks! I got some more quail eggs are due any minute and I will try anything to keep them going.

Back
Top Bottom