My baby roo thinks I'm his mum- is this normal?

Thank you all so much for the welcomes, just wanted to update this post as things have progressed nicely to little Roo being able to sleep with the 2 young hens again and stay permanently on our land after a week of sleeping at home in the evening and then taking him to Chicken School in the day!

But i have to say that he is developing into such a lovely little Rooster, he hasn't started behaving dominantly as such yet as hes still young but hes such a sociable little boy and every night when he perches in the doorway of the hen house before i close them in, he gives me an actual cuddle, placing his head onto my shoulder and i stroke him while he purrs. He also follows me around and will happily ride on my shoulder for quite a while, which he seems to really enjoy.

I've also since read that the best way to raise a friendly Rooster is to rear them affectionately and handle each day, so i'm not sure that the advice given here has been entirely accurate but until he's older i wont know for sure. I've had a Rooster before from 2 years old and he always respected me and never attacked - although he did my husband!

So i think i'm going with the mindset that if you treat them respectfully and with affection, then a lovely friendship can develop :)

Back
Top Bottom