My bandaid is NOT food, you #$%* chicken!!

It's funny b/c my girls leave my toes & rings alone. Maybe next spring, when the toes re-emerge from the winter, they'll attack the red tips. Maybe not - let's hope for not!

This same bandaid-attacking chicken has also figured out how to get around the screen we put up to keep her off the back porch... and away from my jalapeno plants. The weather is getting so cold at night that I might just let the girls have the pepper plants. We haven't gotten a SINGLE fruit off them.
hit.gif

Quote:
Lol, my bantams go after my toenails but everyone leaves my tattoo alone. Maybe cause it's another bird
idunno.gif

Hope the hand gets better quickly, wounds on the digits always suck >.<

I wrapped it in masking tape and then let the girls check it out. Even my shy RIR came over for a peck. Once they figured out it's not food the interest lapsed. YAY!

Peroxide is not the best thing for healing wounds. It has been shown to cause the most damage to healthy tissue leading to more scar tissue and slower healing. It's use is only in disinfecting new wounds and helping to lift out debris. People just like peroxide cause they can see it working from the bubbles. The best thing to use for disinfecting multiple times on a healing wound is betadine. It also doesn't sting.
wink.png
Rinse preferably 1-2 times daily. If the wound becomes too dry and isn't closing well dilute betadine with warm water to weak tea color or if there isn't any sign of infection you can reduce how often you rinse and see how it does. Remember wounds need to heal from the inside out. If you let the skin flap close over without the tissue underneath healing you will just make a nice pocket for infection and have to open it up later. You want to keep an opening for drainage and rinsing. That's why deep wounds are packed or have shunts put in.

Thanks for the reminder, Akane! I don't like peroxide so haven't been using it. It makes my skin sooo dry, so I haven't used it since moving out of my parents' house a decade ago.

I took a good look at it last night and it's looking healthy. Slower to heal than I'd like, but healthy tissue. I've been keeping bacitracine & bandaids on it. No signs of infection... YAY! It's pretty deep, like I thought. At least it's still looking good.

My thumb joint it going to be stiff when it's all healed, though. I can't bend my thumb too far without opening the wound, so have been keeping it pretty straight to allow the cut to heal as much as possible.

Update!

My chickens ignore the bandaid after over a week of seeing it daily. YAY.

As for the finger, the wound has healed considerably. I could almost go without a bandage covering it but thenew tissue is still very fragile. I trimmed off all the dead and dried out skin, which made it look much better. It'll be nice to not have to take care of it so carefully.

Ouch.....bad chicken. And oh, did your post bring up memories. One of my buffs would sneak up behind me and bite, not peck, my leg, ankle, foot, arm, whatever she could grab. She always drew blood and it hurt.
Fortunately, she outgrew this behavior....just didn't know her own strength I guess.

Take care of that wound.

Anne

There is some stuff like super glue called Nu-Skin. You brush it on and it does fairly well in closing wounds and keeping them clean. I use it quite often on my hands when I cut them here and there doing things around here. It sounds like you have healed for the most part, but the Nu-Skin is definitely worth having in the medicine cabinet.

Open Nu-Skin with CAUTION!
I do a little stained glass and I keep that in my workbench. The studio I go to also has it in the cabinet.
That really stings!
About the time you are sure your gonna wet yourself- you blow on it one more time and one more time again before it stops stinging! But it does stop the bleeding and protect your fingers after that!

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the cut! I'm fairly accident prone myself (cut myself on the plastic latch on the micro twice!). I am one of the folks allergic to a type of antibiotic ointment. When I worked at a hospital and have a burn or a cut, I'd use an ointment. One was similar to Neosporin, and didn't bother me. The other had extra ingredients and made me break out into a little rash. Looked like tiny pin pricks every where I put that ointment.
When my guineas were newly hatched, I used to hold them. I had to be careful at what shirt I'd wore, as they'd pick at a small mole on my collarbone!

Back
Top Bottom