My bantam is pale and sick

Another thing I just thought of. I have always had them on the same brand of feed(Purina). I wonder if I should switch? I mean for a slightly different nutritional profile?

Here is the part I mentioned:
- Jeff Mattocks of Fertrell recommended fresh raw cow/goat milk to me as a supplement in/on the feed or fed free choice as a successful remedy for coccidiosis. The milk is mucus forming and coats the intestinal track. It also has beneficial bacteria and enzymes in the raw form. I used it on the feed about 2.5Gal milk/5Gal Bucket (25 to 30 lb) of feed, well mixed. Putting it in the feed makes sure the birds all get a dose. Usually the birds turn around in 48 hours. An old poultry-man told me they used to use milk products to treat coccidia before the medications came out. I had a severe infection in my flock last year due to management failures as described above and the milk worked well as a remedy, but only after I had corrected the management problems. The routine use of coccidiastats in commercial poultry feed is indicative of a model that forces the birds to live in the presence of their own feces to an abnormally high degree. There are models, thankfully, that have solved the problem by reducing the exposure to fecal material to a level that does not cross the birds threshold of tolerance for coccidia. Most of us have opted for those better models. Lets make sure they are operated correctly

Purina feeds, for the most part, do not contain any animal protein. Contrary to today's popular opinions, animal protein is not a bad thing. I look for feeds that contain animal protein (however, none from ruminants) on purpose. That said, the lack of animal protein in the feed wont bring on illness.​

Thanks. Huh I read through that twice and didn't see that. Goofy me! We do not have access to raw milk around here. I could get organic milk, would that help? I might be able to get some cheese.(raw?) And a fellow BYCer who lives within 3o miles has some goats, maybe I can buy some milk from this individual. Hmm. I fed them all mash with some milk, a very small amount of butter, and some yogurt all mixed in.

Kay's boyfriend Bear has always been healthy. Now today I noticed this funny squeaky noise and finally realised he is sneezing. Later I noticed that after he crows, he has a weezing sound. That can't be good. I am not even sure if these are related diseases. Someone told me to put him on aereomycin. Now this is getting pretty weird.

Last edited:
I dont use raw milk, but I do use buttermilk and dry powdered milk in their feed when they have cocci. Also, yogurt with active cultures is usually readily available. Dont know what to tell you if it isn't cocci-related. Could be more than one thing going on.

I was going to ask what a good brand of feed is. All I have seen is Purina or a generic farm store brand that I am sure has ruminent products in it, so I wont buy it.. I wont let my dog eat ruminet meat either. The dog has to eat fish and sweet potatoe formula or chicken formula.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will keep you updated with what happens with her.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom