My Barnevelder chicks are hatching!!!

CedarCluck

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 12, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA
So I thought that I would start a thread to share with everyone the experience I am having hatching my first set of Barnevelder eggs. It is my first set of this breed, but on top of that its also my first set of hatching eggs ever so its all very exciting for me. The eggs have already started to hatch so I will post some pictures below of my arriving babies! I am sooo excited and can't wait till they are all out of the bator! I also am making some changes to my homemade brooder and I will update with photos of those changes later today!

jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Looks like they are popping out in force!

Congrats!!
Yes they really are, or were rather. They weren't even due to start hatching until tonight (as in friday night) but last night in the middle of the night I heard them peeping inside their shells and they were wobbling all about in their eggs. Within an hour they were all pipped aside from one. by the afternoon I had two hatched, and by about an hour ago now I had eight hatched.
It looks like you are doing really good for your first hatch.
I think so. I was really worried none of them were going to hatch because they had been shipped eggs and wound up traveling through a huge snow storm. So I am super excited and happy that my hatch is going so well!

I am down two chicks. Unfortunately they didn't make it through the hatching process. The first one was the third shell to be pipped but it barely even cracked the egg in comparison to the rest of the eggs. It had been moving this morning and cheeping, but I got worried because it never fully pipped and it stopped moving and making sounds. So I decided to open up the pip hole a little extra (yes yes i know I should just let them do it themselves, but what can I say I was worried and couldn't help myself). When I got the pip opened a little more I could see that the baby wasn't breathing anymore and it wasn't moving or making sounds inside the shell. So I decided to hatch it the rest of the way in hopes that it would just suddenly spring to life. Sadly it didn't and it had died I am assuming shortly after trying to pip the shell. The second one died I think about a day or so ago because every single one of the other eggs had been pipped and for the sake of learning from this experience I decided to open it up to see what was going on. It still wasn't fully developed and there wasn't a heart beat nor was it breathing and its stomach was way to squishy still. Sad but such is life I suppose.

ps sorry if my phones are somewhat fuzzy. The lens cover on my iphone's camera is scratched up from being dropped lol

All these cute little chicks being hatched made me want to break out my incubator. Watching them hatch is so exciting. Around here I'll have 5-6 people gathered around the incubator watching them when they hatch. Congrats on the chicks!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom