1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My barred rock is alive!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickened, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    About 3 weeks ago my barred rock hen dissapeared... I thought for sure something got her... I had looked over the back pastures and everywhere for feathers and body parts... about a week ago I seen her eating by the barn... Yesterday I found her nest with about 15 eggs ready to hatch. I was relieved as she is my only barred rock.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]Good to hear!!!

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Thank you, I totally wrote her off as dead, I usually see the broodies when I feed and just wait til they hatch but she must of come off the nest at night or something because I totally missed it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    That's great news!

5. Kristin Brown

Kristin Brown Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    A Barred Rock hen of mine has an obsession with laying on the straw bales stacked in our well house. Each time I go in there, she makes a run for the straw bales which are stacked 5 bales high! It is not uncommon that I find a random brown egg in the straw. I am sure she would accumulate a nice clutch of eggs up there if I didn't chase her out every time I go to close up the doors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by