My beautiful black Drake,,,, has a nest with 17 eggs in it...

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
Well Drako the beautiful black drake,, son of the deceased Whitey and the Mallard Emeril pulled a quickie on me. He has a nest with 17 eggs,,,, <sigh>, first my roo is a hen, now my drake is a hen? I know some of those eggs in that big pile have got to bad,,,, they are in an area that flooded recently in the rains and I'm sure they got soaked. But I'm not sticking my head in the dog crate she adopted for anything.

I had a similar problem, my hens were roos, my drake was a hen--I thought the chickens were laying the eggs my friends found in our run, then it turned out they were boys, and I couldn't figure out how it happened until I realized my cayuga was a female and had laid the eggs--in January of all times of the year. She lays periodically, but isn't the least interested in sitting, which is just fine, since they didn't develop in my bator either.

And don't get me started on why my muscovy drake isn't doing his job--the poor hen keeps going broody, but no babies to show for it. *sigh*

I went out this morning and looked in the dog crate to make sure and sure enough,,, "he" was in there on those eggs. Curly tail feather and all. The only hen I have old enough to lay eggs other than this one would be Hershey and she's got her babies right now that are only 3 weeks old, so they have to be that darn he/she ducks eggs. I never would have guesseed.

Back
Top Bottom