My beautiful new rooster ran away... HELP?

WOOHOO!!!!!! GOOD Rooster!!! Hope you was able to get the hole fixed...and keep that boy home!
smile.png

Hubby and son have reinforced the pen all the way around - not only at the excape hatch! Good thing too as the rooster was so peeved at being caught that he refused to go in the coop last night and slept on the ground in the pen...! This morning there was a very mangy looking coyote sitting back on his haunches about 6 feet from the enclosure. (eeek!) Fortunately he ran into the forest as soon as he saw me.

Rooster didn't seem the least bit perturbed by the beast - he was standing there staring at him?

Oh my! Peacebird. You be carefull if that coyote was there. he will be back for a dinner. Can you get a hotwire for around your coop?? I would have freaked out if I saw it there. Maybe a motion detector light? both!?? LOL Be safe!

I was following this board since it was started. Since Mom and I don't have any roosters we don't have that problem (we also don't have that problem because live in suburbia xD). Anyway, I'm so happy that he's back now. :3

my new rooster won't go into the coop at all.... He sleeps outside in the pen on the ground. How can I get him into the coop? It is pouring down rain from the nor'easter and he looks rather silly sstanding really tall next to the tree to try and stay dry? (sigh)
He has never been IN the coop... We initially let him into the pen (coop door is open) and he escaped twice, now back in the pen - unable to escape but he just will not stick his head inside the nice dry coop... I guess I *should* have opened his cage up to the door of the coop initially to force him in....
Help?
He is all alone, my hens haven't arrived yet. They should get here next week (I hope) But why won't he go in where it's nice and dry? I put his food bowl just inside the opening but no go...

Poor rooster got stuck with a couple total newbies in hubby and me.... :-(
(sorry for posting this twice - I'm getting a bit desperate to get the poor thing into his nice dry home....)

It's got lovely straw onthe floor and nice perching spots......

Is there some way you might be able to catch him? I would use a large fish net...with a long handle. If you can get him, then put him in there, and leave him in for ohhhh, say 4 or 5 days. Dont let him back out. You will need to do the same with the new hens....lock them in there for a few days. They will get the idea! Good luck!

Unfortunately we have no fishnets... I will go secure a tarp over part of the pen, maybe give him a little hay to sit on...

Now that I know better I will release the ladies directly into the coop next week and keep the door shut....

poor rooster.

Dont worry, we have all been newbies at some point. Best way to teach a chook where home is to lock him/her in the coop for a few days. Make sure they have plenty of food and water of course. After that they will go back every night.!

good luck with your boy!!

Shannon

hi
my hens wont even let my rooster in the house with them they would very much like to kill him he was a late arrival as the four hens were purchased together as chicks and are now 1 yr old we tried to socilize them while we were outside but they stalk him and try to sneak arund us to get him so luckly my little bantam loves him so we built the two of them their own house with a large pen and they seem tobe loving it i cant let them free range unless i put the girls in their house then they can free range. now my rooster is alone in a pen because he wants to get the new chicks that the bantam hatched a few days ago when can i try to put him and the bantam and 5 chicks together im not sure i hore soon though he really misses his girl. hopefully i wont have to buils a third chicken coop for the babies because my free ranging hens do not like the babies either i think they are a little spoiled after all im almost sure they know their names if i call peep then peep comes running as do the other 2 who new chicckens were smart i sure didnt anyway good luck when you get your hens and i hope they like the rooster because mine certainly dont

Back
Top Bottom