My beep beeps

Peap pod

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
So i have been reading and reading and thought i was ready, got my lil beepers peeps and this is my first night. 2 week old Rhode Island Reds. Spilled their entire quart of water, pooped in their food and i dont have a thermometer but have them in a 2'×3'×2' wooden box with a 250 w heat lamp. About 4 inches of pine and i am not able to keep them inside so are they gonna make it? I mean they are in a covered out building not much wind or anything, i just dont have indoor space. What does anyone think? Guess i will know tomorrow

Attachments

• 20180311_152958_Film4.jpg
    20180311_152958_Film4.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 15
So i have been reading and reading and thought i was ready, got my lil beepers peeps and this is my first night. 2 week old Rhode Island Reds. Spilled their entire quart of water, pooped in their food and i dont have a thermometer but have them in a 2'×3'×2' wooden box with a 250 w heat lamp. About 4 inches of pine and i am not able to keep them inside so are they gonna make it? I mean they are in a covered out building not much wind or anything, i just dont have indoor space. What does anyone think? Guess i will know tomorrow
Welcome to BYC!!We are happy to help with questions you may have. A 250 heat lamp is fine for now but i reccomend getting a heating plate because heat lamps tend to keep the chicks warmer then what they should be and heat plates are much safer...here is one on amazon ://www.amazon.com/Premier-Chick-Heating-Plate-Kit/dp/B01N7U6BUJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520833198&sr=8-1&keywords=chicken+heating+plate
For the water and food if they have handles on them people hang them up with a rope low enough to eat and get a drink but high enough where there not getting it dirty.How old are they?:):welcome

They are a week old and i have gone through 2 full quarts of water from the waterer overflowing which makes me have to dump wet shavings. Thats really my only issue, just that dang water

They are a week old and i have gone through 2 full quarts of water from the waterer overflowing which makes me have to dump wet shavings. Thats really my only issue, just that dang water
Then I highly suggest you hang it up with a rope,low enough where they can get the water,but high enough where its not getting tipped...It gets easier i promise there just at the chick stage right now:)

I am not sure how i would hang a waterer. It a upside down bottle in a tray. I have it so they cant tip it i just dont know how the water keeps seeping out. I will get a picture maybe that can help

I meant some waters have handles on the top that people hang them on to..but you chicks are still to young for one of the waters that I am talking about.maybe set it on something so its low enough for them to get to but high enough so there not getting it dirty. You said that is leaking,is it leaking because of the chicks or maybe there is something wrong with the waterier itself,I've had one that broke but couldn't tell so i just got a new one.Your idea for them not tipping it over is really good.

41BXW9k53WL.jpg
This is what im talking about,but i think your chickens are a little to young..I dont want them to drowned i have made this mistake before.

Our chicks are 2 weeks old and we have their waterer up on a block and that helps keep it much cleaner. You could also invest in a nipple waterer. That keeps the water clean and you can make your own or order one. If yours is just leaking it sounds defective
I have the same type of waterer and we have had it for 4 years without problems.

Our chicks are 2 weeks old and we have their waterer up on a block and that helps keep it much cleaner. You could also invest in a nipple waterer. That keeps the water clean and you can make your own or order one. If yours is just leaking it sounds defective
I have the same type of waterer and we have had it for 4 years without problems.

This.

I have the same type, too, and have never had it leak. Are you certain it is level? If it is off just a little and you also have the hole positioned on the high side, it could just be flowing out because the water level is never rising high enough to stop the flow. I've made that mistake before.

I also have mine sitting up on a brick or an overturned bowl...some kind of platform to keep it high enough that they don't kick shavings into it.

Back
Top Bottom