My Big Boys

Peachaburra

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2017
Last but not least, my handsome big boys!

Jester is a 19 year old Citron Crested Cockatoo. He came into a friend's parrot rescue in early 2013, and was foster by another friend. When I met him, I fell in love with him. My whole family did! But at the time, there was another person who was interested in adopting him. A week or two later, I received a message that Jester's adopted had fallen through, and I was next on the list to adopt him! I was so happy, and a few days later, we finalized the adoption and Jester came to live with me! He has some bad history.... his previous owners had locked him in a small wire cage with no proper toys for 2 years. Poor guy. ): I had to work through some struggles with him, but now he is pretty good. He plucks out of habit, and I have tried everything to help him. He has his good and bad days with it. Right now he has some tail feathers, so that is good! He is very silly and I just adore him. He is a typical cockatoo. He loves to shred stuff, and he likes to scream. LOL. When he talks, he has the sweetest little voice. He loves to hang out outside, and he loves showers.

Grey Bird is a 21 year old Congo African Grey. He was my God-Bird, his owner wanted me to take him if anything ever happened to her or if she couldn't take care of him anymore. In February 2015, my mom got an email from his owner asking if I would take him now. Of course I said yes. He came home with me in March. Grey Bird had been locked in his cage for the past five years, after we think he bit the owner and she became afraid of him. The first day he was home with me, he asked me to pet his head, and I instantly fell in love. Within the first week or so he had come out of his cage and sat on top. We quickly became best friends, even though he wouldn't step up. He loved for me to sit by his cage and talk to him, and to pet his head. Later that year, in August, Grey Bird fell off his cage and asked me to help him by sticking his foot up. When he stepped up, giving me no troubles at all, I cried. An emotional rush came over me, that after being locked in a cage for so long, he had decided to trust me. It felt so good. After that, he started stepping up when ever I asked. It was amazing. What friendship we had, blossomed into something so much more. We are so bonded now, I love him so much, and he loves me so much. He is such a goofball. He has a full vocabulary, and uses it perfectly a lot of the time. He asks me for food by name, asks me to come get him or scratch him, asks me if I'm okay, and so on. It is so sweet. His favorite thing is to get head scratches. I swear, he would sit and let me pet him forever. I just adore him!

Awwwww sounds like they had rough lifes before and you saved them! So sweet and so glad you could save them and bond with them. They both sound amazing especially Grey Bird.

Do they need a lot of attention? I've heard greys need tons of attention and/or having other birds can be a challenge.

How do you manage so many birds and have a life!? Lol

its always a treat to see happy birds being treated well. I have always stayed away from the larger parrots due to the noise and there delicate mental state. Im glad you had the time, skill and most of all patience to help them.

Back
Top Bottom