My biggest chicken regrets...

ZuckermansFamousPig

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
SW Idaho
I've been a keeper of a tiny backyard, (3-5) flock for four years, all layers until now. I live in a suburban neighborhood, and these are my biggest mistakes:

Buying a rooster to keep my hens company. Not only was there crowing, less food and a lot of drama, but five months later I was talking a sheepfarmer into taking my year old layers as a free gift if he would take the rooster also. They now live on a farm in the mountains nearby and the farmer doesn't give me any eggs.

Waiting an extra day to fix the hole in the run, I lost two of my four layers to a racoon that night.

Getting straight run banties; I adore my banties but after two turned up cockerels, I ended up paying a local animal rescue $30 to take a purebred Silver Sebright off my hands (nobody answered the ad at the feed store for a $15 cockerel) -don't ask what happened to the other one, I'll be feeling bad about that for a while, but I did my best at the time.) My neighborhood is too close to handle a crowing rooster. From now on I'll buy my chicks already sexed and not encourage bad habits.

Not buying those black and white Polish banties when I had the chance at the feedstore this spring. They next day I checked back and somebody had come in and bought the whole lot. Curse you, Polish Banty greedy person!

Some of the best lessons learned, are the hardest. Look past your regrets, and enjoy what you have. Also make yourself happy and get some more!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom