My birds are getting older!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by holachicka, Jul 8, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I have 30 coturnix quail in a 7'x4' pen... I've started to notice that the girls are starting to purrr... and I'm starting to notice a few of them missing head feathers. Is this just normal behavior, or do i need to split them into different groups? I'll have three of these 7x4 pens when I'm finished, but I also have 30 butler bobwhite eggs on lockdown... any recommendations of how to spread out my birds? Or do i need to start building new pens?

2. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    How old are they now?

As you know, I "got rid of" my extra males, and my females dont seem so rough-looking in the neck anymore.
    They still have a male to service them.

Once you start hearing the males have calling contests at 3am, youll "get rid of" some too . . .

Its not THAT loud, and it sounds like any old wild bird really, and I know I am just more in tune to hearing it and the fact that I know what it is, my neighbor said "it doesnt bother me but I can hear it".

Just remember the rules of thumb . . . 1 male for 5 females, and at least 1sqft per bird
    (LOL, I dont follow these rules in any way shape or form)

The picked necks are signs of males chasing females, or breeding, and is gonna happen if you keep the 2 sexes together.
    Smaller groups or less males should help.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    That's enough space for 30 cotunix, but what is the ratio of guys to gals? If you keep it to one male to every 4 or 5 females, your females won't get in such rough shape. Several posters have said it helps to have some cover in there, like branches or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by