My birds have issues.

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Is there a good reason why all 5 of my chickens would rather hang out in the run area (covered in plastic to keep out the snow, if you click below on the link to my page you'll see what I mean) And I mean hang out there at night, all day. Thankfully the girls go in and lay their eggs in the nest boxes, but other than that they are all outside. It was suppose to get really cold last night, so I tried to put them all to bed in the coop, but as fast as I put them in, they came back out. I have tried with the lights on (a 40 watt bulb) and with the lights off, doesn't make any difference. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM????
hmm.png

Out of 17 in my run I have 5 that stay out day and night no matter how cold it gets. I have a pop hole they can go in, but they don't. They have a mind of their own. Go figure.
roll.png

I was going to put a roost out there (now they are sleeping on a mound of straw that I put in there) but I didn't want to encourage them to stay out, but I don't want them sleeping on the ground either.

They are not in wind, rain... so just let them sleep outside. If you don't like them sleeping on the ground try making a stick to sit on outside. But some chicks just prefere ground.

Just in case.. check for mites in their house. Maybe they are getting bit at night?

When my girls were young (10-15wks) they got really confused. If the light wasn't on in the house, they would all just hunker down in the run in a group. It was a bit scary, really, since they picked a spot near the door that they could've gotten eaten through!!

Meghan

Our Banties prefer to sleep on their outdoor roost at night rather than in the coop also. I was surprised as we've been down to the 20's several times and if it was me, I'd be inside.
idunno.gif

Half of their fully enclosed run is covered with a tarp and since it's their favorite spot to sleep, I don't force them to sleep inside. (You know who owns who around here now...
gig.gif
)

Dawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom