My birds have issues.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muddler6, Dec 2, 2007.

1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Is there a good reason why all 5 of my chickens would rather hang out in the run area (covered in plastic to keep out the snow, if you click below on the link to my page you'll see what I mean) And I mean hang out there at night, all day. Thankfully the girls go in and lay their eggs in the nest boxes, but other than that they are all outside. It was suppose to get really cold last night, so I tried to put them all to bed in the coop, but as fast as I put them in, they came back out. I have tried with the lights on (a 40 watt bulb) and with the lights off, doesn't make any difference. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM????[​IMG]

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Out of 17 in my run I have 5 that stay out day and night no matter how cold it gets. I have a pop hole they can go in, but they don't. They have a mind of their own. Go figure. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine also like to sleep outside. [​IMG]

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I was going to put a roost out there (now they are sleeping on a mound of straw that I put in there) but I didn't want to encourage them to stay out, but I don't want them sleeping on the ground either.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    To me that would be really strange , but mine always put themselves up for the night. [​IMG]

6. Zah-zah

Zah-zah Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2007
    They are not in wind, rain... so just let them sleep outside. If you don't like them sleeping on the ground try making a stick to sit on outside. But some chicks just prefere ground.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Just in case.. check for mites in their house. Maybe they are getting bit at night?

When my girls were young (10-15wks) they got really confused. If the light wasn't on in the house, they would all just hunker down in the run in a group. It was a bit scary, really, since they picked a spot near the door that they could've gotten eaten through!!

Meghan

8. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG] nothing's wrong. they're birds not people. they don't like tv, either. go figure. lol.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our Banties prefer to sleep on their outdoor roost at night rather than in the coop also. I was surprised as we've been down to the 20's several times and if it was me, I'd be inside.[​IMG]

Half of their fully enclosed run is covered with a tarp and since it's their favorite spot to sleep, I don't force them to sleep inside. (You know who owns who around here now...[​IMG])

Dawn

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by