My birds

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pyrex, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    I have 19 6-month old birds, and 5 other birds, including a 7 year-old rooster and four 2-year old hens. I will post pictures of them here often, and I'll make sure the pictures are in great quality. :)

Here is my favourite of them, likely a rooster. Just like the others, unknown breed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That chicken has quite a long beak. He almost reminds me of a raptor. Perhaps his beak looks proportionally larger, because he is still fairly young and skinny.

3. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    He does indeed have a large beak, it's more robust than the beaks of the other birds his age. Also, here are some other pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are nice looking chickens. You say you don't know the breed? It looks like they could have Modern Game genetics.

6. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    I don't know the breeds for most of them, but I'm quite certain the one on the fourth picture on my latest post is a dutch breed.

And very possibly so. Do you tell that by the thicker beaks on some of them?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Full body shots of them standing in a normal attentive position will help us. A couple of them look like they may be part aseel, an exotic breed of game chickens.

8. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    I'll get full body shots. I was going for a photography effect which makes the bird's head more detailed, and the background gets blurrier. I'll get some better quality pictures right now :)

9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That one with the little feather crest on her head and the red comb does look like some Dutch breeds I have seen in photos. I really like breeds with the crest.

The long beak, long neck, long legs of your other chickens are characteristic of some game breeds like Maylays. But there is a Belgian Game that we don't see much in the United States. Here is a link for more information: http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/12e05a03.pdf

Of course your chickens may be some mix of breeds.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by