My Black Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crossbowhunter5, Oct 4, 2015.

  1. crossbowhunter5

    crossbowhunter5 Out Of The Brooder

    73
    2
    43
    Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    I have 15 pullets & the 15th of this month they will be 5 months old about when should i expect them to start laying eggs I ordered 25 pullets & Cackle sent me 8 roosters & someone stole 7 of my pullets about 2 months ago so i now only have 15 & the 8 roosters I am gonna sell off the extra roosters all but 2 or put them in the pot if they do not sell I am very dissapointed with Cackle Hatchery with this order i will have to raise the 10 pullets i need to get the number i should have gotten to begin with
     
  2. IceAngel

    IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

    408
    34
    108
    May 2, 2013
    Generally chickens start laying around 20 weeks but there are many factors to consider. Check out this BYC thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/684375/at-what-age-should-chickens-start-laying-eggs
    It might contain the information you are looking for.

    I have never been able to get a decent price for roosters so mine all go into the soup pot. You might be luckier with your Jersey Giants.
    About the Hatchery.....8/25 is a 30% margin of error .... too much in my book. They would not get away with that if they were supplying a larger order. Phone them and see if they will replace the roosters for free.
     
  3. haireecat

    haireecat Chillin' With My Peeps

    99
    26
    50
    Jul 25, 2013
    Georgia

    My Jerseys started laying at the 7 month mark. They started squatting for me about a month before they laid their first eggs. That really stinks that someone stole your pullets!
     
  4. steve232

    steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

    61
    13
    66
    Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    I keep my chickens padlocked at all times when I'm not home and also at night. I do have neighbors I absolutely do not trust. Don't think I would by from Cackle Hatchery again if thats the best they can do.
     
  5. crossbowhunter5

    crossbowhunter5 Out Of The Brooder

    73
    2
    43
    Aug 26, 2014
    Saltville Va
    After my 7 pullets were stolen i but a lock on my coop I am telling ya a thief is the lowest of lowlifes except a child molester it took me almost a year to save up to order my BLACK JERSEY GIANTS & i am on a disability fixed income & now it will take me over a year to raise enough to replace the 7 that were stolen from me. & I will be ordering from a different Hatchery Cackle sent me 7 roosters instead of the 3 i did order & they did refund the money for the 4 roosters . Which hatchery except McMurry & McMurry I had a bigger foul up I need a good hatchery that don't foul up my order Cackle stated that they had a 90% sexing rate guess i fell into the other 10% JUST MY LUCK LOL


    \
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by