My BR gal is acting weird, sitting, shaking with clear mucus from her vent..

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
I LOVE this turkey, she has so much personality, so pretty and such an attitude. Tonight, she seemed find when I was putting them up for the night, then all the sudden out of the blue she squatted down, and roosted two feet from the coop door. I could see that she was shaking a bit and went closer. she let me pet her for about 15 minutes, I tried to feel around and didnt' notice anything feeling strange or looking strange, except her vent. There were drops of a thicker clear mucous like stuff dripping. not sure if her vent looked normal or not as I have never been that close to her.

I'm going to go check on her now, but I did lock her up for the night and she did sit back down in the coop. She is normallly very vocal and active. Teh only plus is that I really got some good loves on her!!! Petting her litttle naked head was the highlight of my day;)

Also, when do turkeys lay eggs?? Obviously, I am new to turkeys? I inherieted this one with the house we bought about a month ago. I think she is a year or two old.

The first thing that comes to mind is that an egg, broke inside her. This would not be good. They'll usually lay eggs through the spring/early summer.

Thank you. Red seems OK this morning. She did not get up on the roosts last night in her favorite spot, but stayed on the ground. One of my chickens was in an uproar when I went out this morning and I feared the worst....but then I heard her racket start once she realized I was coming. She wont let me close today, her wings are still a bit droopy, but she is walking and sratching and such.

I'll keep an eye on her and see how is goes. She hasn't laid for me yet, but as I said, I have only had her a month and am not sure her exact age.

I appreciate your comments!

Just bringing this up again to see if there are any other ideas??

This is happening again this morning. She was totally fine when I let them out, got feed. I watched them eat (my BR, 1 Ausrt. and 2 bantam chickens) for about 5 mintues and all seemed fine. Red was picking at the chickens a little bit, normally she is fine with them, but did peck at each one at least once. Their food bowl is plenty big, and the chickens seemed cautious of her....I know she pecks at them on occassion, but not normally this much.

After watching them eat I got up to go inside and suddenly I saw Red squat down, thinking she was pooping....but them she moved a bit to be on level ground and sat and started shaking slightly with her wings spread a little. I pet her and talked to her, and she let me touch her everywhere without noise. She cooed a bit under her breath. I looked at her vent and it seems a little red and puffy?? I have no idea what it is supposed ot look like on a normal day. And again there was just a trace of clear thick liquid (like egg white) oozing out.

Im wondering too if this hasn't happened semi regularly. I have noticed a few time when I look out on the pen that she is sitting down in the dirt, but forgot about this episode until it happened again today. Maybe it is happening on the regular? Could this be an egg issue? What if she is breaking eggs inside??? Or not producing shell??

Any thoughts?? I'm giong to post on illnesses too just in case.

Thanks,

fraun

After watching them eat I got up to go inside and suddenly I saw Red squat down, thinking she was pooping....but them she moved a bit to be on level ground and sat and started shaking slightly with her wings spread a little. I pet her and talked to her, and she let me touch her everywhere without noise. She cooed a bit under her breath. I looked at her vent and it seems a little red and puffy?? I have no idea what it is supposed ot look like on a normal day. And again there was just a trace of clear thick liquid (like egg white) oozing out.

Is she squatting when you get near her? A lot of the time if a hen really likes you they'll squat down to be bred. XD They may explain why she was red and puffy as well because she views you as her man. Not sure if the liquid is normal with that kind of behavior though. Are they getting extra calcium? If the eggs are breaking inside of her the shells may be really thin. Not certain on that but it's a thought I had. =3 I hope things work out for you, its easy for a turkey to earn a special place in your heart.

oh, really??? That is funny because last week I posted about Red doing a love dance and beautiful song for my boxer dog.....and I was told that was actually a sign of aggression!!! I really don't think it is eggs, and there isn't a lot of liquid, just a tiny bit. I would love it (i think) if she loves me!!! Both time I have seen her do this I take complete advantage of her and cuddle her and stroke her little head. I LOVE that turkey neck!!

I wonder, I'll have to watch and see if it happens again. I just want to make sure she isn't in pain or sick in some way....

Thanks,

It does sound like she is 'assuming the position' for you... try rubbing her back and along under her wings. When I did that to mine then started to walk away she would get up and shake herself off.

Thank you everyone!

I am thinking this latest thought might be the best one!! She has done this two more times, each after feeding in the morning when I am walking around the corral tidying up a bit. Today I scratched her, pet her head a bit and then went about my chores. After a couple of minutes she bawked and went about her business as well.

This is a good thing, right?? I really don't want a tom!! I have enought to keep track of as it is!

Back
Top Bottom