My Brahma Won't Sit On Her Eggs

Mac101

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2020
Hello Fam, I have an issue with my Brahma Hen, she keeps on laying and won't sit on her eggs to get the eggs hatched. Please I need advise to make her sit on her eggs?

Hello Fam, I have an issue with my Brahma Hen, she keeps on laying and won't sit on her eggs to get the eggs hatched. Please I need advise to make her sit on her eggs?
It is possible to encourage broodiness. I have done it many times. Now be aware that some hens quite frankly refuse to be broody. And that’s that. But, here’s what’s worked for me:
1. Make sure that the coop is clean! Now this is more of a personal preference, but it feels a lot more homey and comfortable with clean bedding.
2. Put curtains on the nest box. My hens love have a dark, quiet place to retreat to. Just be sure to show her that she can (and should) go inside it.
3. You can give her egg replacements. I usually don’t like to give my hens fertile eggs while they are on the verge of being broody. I will put either normal eggs or golf balls in the nesting box.
4. Try to minimize distractions. My chickens free-range all day and are only in the coop at night, so this is no problem for me.

Good luck!

Yup, my Sussex have never been interested in sitting on their eggs. Even when they made a wild nest with like 20 eggs, they still weren't inclined to sit on them. Some birds just don't get it. For their eggs and me, it's now the incubator. Because why should I have it easy...lol

Back
Top Bottom