My broody did it!!! (More pics!)

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I was trying to collect eggs to set in the bator and when I tried to scoot this broody out of the way, she bit me so I let her set. I didn't disturb her, never candled or went anywhere closer than to gather the rest of the eggs out of the upper nesting boxes. Wondered why I was only getting 1-3 eggs a day when I realized that other hens were laying under the nesting boxes, and broody was scooting them under her. Two days ago I noticed a second broody sitting with the first and it dawned on me that she probably has so many eggs that she needed help. This afternoon I went out to feed and noticed two little peeps!!!! I put out a bowl of food and a waterer within reach and left them be. When I went out to shut them up, I managed to get this one peep in the pic. Sorry it's blurry but the roo started coming after us so we snapped and ran! Will get more pics tomorrow. I have no idea how many hatched but hoping for more tomorrow!

DSC04010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yep - I was in total awe! I had tried this once before and I moved her to a dog crate. She ended up perching on the edge of the box and all the eggs died. That's why this time I just left her.

The roo would have been fine if I had gone in there by myself, but I brought my son with me (who lives with his dad) and the roo doesn't like him. The flash from the camera freaked him out and the other hens started to get disturbed so we shut everybody up and turned off the light to calm them down. Tomorrow will be better.

That is a couple of good hens you got there. (and you are a non interfering owner!) I can't stop buggin them and I had 2 hens try to sit on the same clutch and I pulled one out. (she quit after evicted)

Those two hens are so "on guard" it's amazing. The one on the left is the ultimate broody; the one on the right is the surrogate and she positions herself between mama and the babies and growls when anyone, including the other hens, goes anywhere near. Scares me
hide.gif
which is why I'm a non-interfering owner!!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom