My broody done good! :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rogue_Woman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    Mamma hens do it best and they seriously let you know what they want and when. If I could only be so lucky as to ALWAYS have a broody ready for the hatch!

Here's a pic of momma inside her brooding box in the house, she did all 3 weeks of incubation and hatched out all the chicks in it:

[​IMG]

Here's the box itself, it also doubles as a brooder for chicks we buy as day-olds:

[​IMG]

I figured momma hen would want to stay in the box for a few days, but I swear as soon as that last baby dried off, she was trying to tear the walls down to get out, so here they are in thier little private run:

[​IMG]

Momma hen also thought her chicks couldn't get into the feeder to eat, so she dumped it for them, then challenged to see what I would do about it:

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I left her alone! My black sex-links have set one right after the other, it's fantastic! These hens make my job a whole heck of a lot easier, I just wish I could have a broody year round! Lucky for me, I've got one more broody waiting to set Lisa's ameraucana eggs when they get here:

[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Awwww.... I love broody hen mamma pics!

Congrats on your new babies!!

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Awwwww!! They are too cute! I can not wait until one of my hens are ready to go broody. I want to have chicks before winter. [​IMG]

Good luck!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Congrats on the new chicks!! [​IMG]

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous!! [​IMG] What kind of chickies are those? [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I love the pictures! haha that made me laugh when you said she challenged you about dumping the feed out. It is amazing how they communicate so well. congratulations.

8. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    Thanks everyone!

They're my attempt at making sex-linked white egg layers...but I'm not too up on my chicken genetics, and they're not sex linked [​IMG] They're a cross between RIR hens and a white leghorn roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by