My Broody Experiment has ended.. :0(

Quote:
For the health of the hen I would not put her through another setting cycle. Get a 'bator and let me send you 'replacements'.

Hurry and get a 'bator and I'll send you the dozen SF's I've got right now for postage. Better chicks for you than breakfast for me.

So sorry!

M

I don't think deerman was referring to having her set a whole different batch, just something to keep her there a few more days till Mahonri can find some babies for her. I've done that, a few days won't hurt her, if she will stay. The hen I did that with was so determined that even after setting 2 sets that hatched nothing, she went back to an empty nest. I figured if she was that determined, a few more days wouldn't kill her! I hope you find some babies for her. I'm so sorry that they didn't hatch!
sad.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
When my husband was travelling on business, he always stayed at a Marriott Hotel. We used to tease him that the care he got there was better than at home. Seemed like I remembered seeing that Marriott sells their mattresses. Checked the website and, yes, they are for sale.

Check the Shop Marriott on the Hotel's website. Maybe for Christmas next year?

Sorry about the babies. Hope the next batch "turn out" better.

Did the last two "Eggtopsies"

One looked like it had developed to about a week and died.

The last looked almost fully developed but there was a crack in the pointy end of the egg. Perhaps that's when it died. I did it with my 12 year old and my 14 year old. It looked like it would have been a beautiful white chick.

So that is that.

14 year old is being disciplined and so we won't be buying the Hovabator that he had picked out online for us to purchase.

I took Neckie off of her nest and put her up on the roost tonight. She may have to go outside all day tomorrow.

Last edited:
So sorry that things didn't work out with the eggs. Hopefully you will have better luck next time.

I've found that if I can get the eggs closer to where I am, so they don't have to be shipped via airplane and have to deal with going through the x-rays, I've had much better luck with the chicks hatching. Last summer I bought some Welsummer eggs from a lady in Utah. She sent 18 eggs and only 2 of them hatched. At least I got two, but it was still discouraging.

Try searching for what you want closer to where you are and maybe you will have better luck next time.
smile.png

Wish I knew of someone here in AZ that has hens with BLUE, BLUE eggs.

We'll take Americauna or Araucana... doesn't matter.

It's amazing how the post office can just scramble the heck out of eggs.

Quote:
ya ,, that does sukaroo
hmm.png

i only have 1 hen that lays blue eggs, but their starting to look a little greener every few weeks
roll.png

but boy dont i have a couple pretty green layers,, 1 just started, i think ive gotten 3 eggs from her hehe.
if i had some really good ones, i'd send ya some..

I'm sorry for you, your family, & your hen that those eggs didn't hatch. I was impressed with the hen's nice bare broody patch in the beginning photo, it looked like she was good & ready for the job.

Perhaps along with selecting & purchasing an incubator you could also construct a comfy brooding pen for your next broody hen. Something with privacy and security, with floor room for the hen to eat, drink, poop & even dust bathe. That way you don't have the risk of other hens coming in to bother your broody, or have the broody lose her direction coming back from her break and go to sit on a different nest. That way you also won't have the daily chore of personally taking the hen off the nest for her breaks.

And I wouldn't bother with the warmed towel to cover the eggs while the hen is on break. It seems the hen times the length & frequency of her breaks depending on the outside temperature. On hot days she can take longer breaks, on really cold days she might not get off at all. And as long as she has food & water available, she will take for herself all she needs.

I try to get my broodies to begin to set in a bucket or box in the coop. After a night or two of full-time brooding in the container, I'll move it to the brooding pen once it's fully dark. Then I'll wait another night or two, to make sure she's committed to set in the brooding pen. If she is, then I'll add the eggs I want her to set.

I hope you feel better & have many many successful hatches in the future!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom