My broody hen left her eggs!?

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
My hen has been broody for about a month now! I finally gave her some eggs! And they are on day five! Last night I moved her and the eggs to a different coop! I’m pretty sure she stayed on the eggs for most of the day but I just went out there and she had left them to go to a different coop!!!!? The eggs were not warm!!! And I’m worried she may been off for too long!!! I put them back under her, she was in this trance so I had to put them under her myself!!!? Are they gonna be on!!!? 😭

My hen has been broody for about a month now! I finally gave her some eggs! And they are on day five! Last night I moved her and the eggs to a different coop! I’m pretty sure she stayed on the eggs for most of the day but I just went out there and she had left them to go to a different coop!!!!? The eggs were not warm!!! And I’m worried she may been off for too long!!! I put them back under her, she was in this trance so I had to put them under her myself!!!? Are they gonna be on!!!? 😭
Oh thats a bummer! I would still try and see. I wouldnt leave an area where she could go through. I had a hen that abandoned some eggs and moved to the other nest, you have to make sure they cant leave the nest. Especially when moving between coops, because she would want to sit where she originally sat. That being said, the eggs the hen abandoned still hatched after I returned her to the right nest (although not as many hatched).

About how hot is it in the coop? I would think they are probably okay, you would be surprised what those little guys can survive.

About how hot is it in the coop? I would think they are probably okay, you would be surprised what those little guys can survive.
I’m in Texas so it’s been pretty hot, but it was at the end of the day and was cooling down a lot! I’m worried also because I know that hatch rate won’t be too well with them being shipped eggs! Do you think this just made the hatch rate worst!?

I’m in Texas so it’s been pretty hot, but it was at the end of the day and was cooling down a lot! I’m worried also because I know that hatch rate won’t be too well with them being shipped eggs! Do you think this just made the hatch rate worst!?
My guess is that it probably didn’t really affect them, they might just hatch a little bit late.

My first time hatching with a broody was really chaotic as I didn't plan accordingly. The broody got on the wrong nest twice for and unknown amount of time, once around day 5-7 and again around day 18/19. Both times the eggs were cool to the touch, and I had all but one hatch! There were only five eggs.

My first time hatching with a broody was really chaotic as I didn't plan accordingly. The broody got on the wrong nest twice for and unknown amount of time, once around day 5-7 and again around day 18/19. Both times the eggs were cool to the touch, and I had all but one hatch! There were only five eggs.
That’s such a relief!!! Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom