My broody hen won't break!!!

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
I have a hen, she is very broody. Nothing I can do will break her! I have tried isolation, locking her out of her nesting boxes, water baths, and ice packs. I broke her last year with isolation, but this year it's not working.

I don't want or need her to be broody, but she thinks otherwise? I get her out of her box as much as possible, to make sure she's eating and drinking, but I still worry about her.

I am a zillion months pregnant, and can only do so much right now, but how can I support her??

A wire bottom crate elevated off the ground a bit will cause her underside to cool off, works even with stubborn ones. 3-5 days. If you don't have a crate or can't come up with one, I have had luck putting them straight on concrete without bedding. But the crate is best. Offer feed and water and leave her in there for the full time, check on day 3, if not broke, than go to day 5.

It's sooo hot here, last year I could get her in a nice cool spot, but this year I can't. What happens if I can't break her?

If you can't break her, she will continue to lose condition and become more susceptible to sickness. Vitamin supplements or electrolytes in her drinking water is probably a good idea, but the broody buster suggestion by @oldhen should work (eventually).

Good luck
Ct

If you can't break her, she will continue to lose condition and become more susceptible to sickness. Vitamin supplements or electrolytes in her drinking water is probably a good idea, but the broody buster suggestion by @oldhen should work (eventually).

Good luck
Ct

Ok, I will have to try the crate again. I have to do do thing. Last year I put it in the house, but this year I will have to put it outside on the concrete. Thank you for the advice.

Make sure she has good shade and lots of water....might even set up a fan to keep the air moving around(and underneath) her.
I have a cage very similar, but the bottom wires are too wide, she wouldn't be able today down. Soooo I have the insert in, she's in the shade for sure, a fan blowing on her, and a frozen water bottle just in case she wants to sit on it or next to it. She is not a happy girl, super angry right now. Lol.....she fluffs up like a turkey when I look at her.

Back
Top Bottom