My broody hen

Briannaquinn16

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
This morning I noticed she wanted to get out of her nesting box were all the fertile eggs are. Then I let her out but I’m worried about the eggs getting cold. And not to mention she spilled her food and water in the nesting box and i tried to keep her in a closed area so the other hens won’t get to her. I’m just so worried what if the eggs get cold every time sapphire gets off of them. And where should I put her? because I really wanna hatch baby chicks

The eggs will always cool down daily when the hen comes off the nest. They don't stay off long enough to be a problem.
Why is there food and water in the nest box? It should be nearby, but not in the nest.
Don't worry about the other hens. They won't bother her. Just mark all the eggs under her so you can remove any eggs the other hens contribute to the nest.
It is usually easier if you put the hen and eggs in a nest in another building.

The eggs will always cool down daily when the hen comes off the nest. They don't stay off long enough to be a problem.
Why is there food and water in the nest box? It should be nearby, but not in the nest.
Don't worry about the other hens. They won't bother her. Just mark all the eggs under her so you can remove any eggs the other hens contribute to the nest.
It is usually easier if you put the hen and eggs in a nest in another building.
Thank you so much and yes I screwed The water and food bowl on the nesting box and I didn’t know it would fall and my other concern is a couple of my hens crack their own eggs and eat it and I don’t know Where else to put her. But what you said about cooling off the eggs helped me a lot I was worried about the chicks dying

Because females of all species come off the nest periodically, often daily, primarily to defecate but also to eat, drink and take a bath.
The effect of periodic cool down has been inured genetically in all birds.
Do you have another coop, garage, basement or other place to temporarily house birds?

Because females of all species come off the nest periodically, often daily, primarily to defecate but also to eat, drink and take a bath.
The effect of periodic cool down has been inured genetically in all birds.
Do you have another coop, garage, basement or other place to temporarily house birds?
No I dont

This is not intended to be a reflection on you and it is something most people never consider when considering getting chickens. In my classes, I always recommend to prospective and first time chicken keepers or even those who have kept them for a while that it is imperative to have at least one additional housing option. Whether that be another coop, a garage or even a basement. When an emergency arises, it is much too late to build another small coop. That housing option is essential for quarantining new, sick or injured birds and in events like your and my case - for broody hens.

What do you mean by this?
Can she not get out on her own?
Some pics of where she is setting, and your whole coop and run, would help here.
What do you mean by this?
Can she not get out on her own?
Some pics of where she is setting, and your whole coop and run, would help he
so yesterday I tried to build a run for her but she was off the eggs for almost a hour and freaking out so I had to let her out and I choose to not hatch any babies. The reason why I wanted to hatch babies was because I wanted a Ayam Cemani. But good news for that is one of our close friends is breeding cemanis and she said she’ll give me a chick in June so I’m super excited for that :)

This is not intended to be a reflection on you and it is something most people never consider when considering getting chickens. In my classes, I always recommend to prospective and first time chicken keepers or even those who have kept them for a while that it is imperative to have at least one additional housing option. Whether that be another coop, a garage or even a basement. When an emergency arises, it is much too late to build another small coop. That housing option is essential for quarantining new, sick or injured birds and in events like your and my case - for broody hens.
This was my first time getting a broody hen and hatching chicks. I just gave up since she was off the eggs for almost an hour and she kept freaking out

Being off the nest an hour isn't a problem in warm weather.
In cold weather they will only stay off 20 minutes or less but in hot weather, they may stay off a couple hours or so.

Back
Top Bottom