My buck goat is driving me nuts

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
I bought a registered 7 month old Nigerian dwarf buck. I have had him a week and he's driving me nuts! Only with his loud bleating tho. I can not keep him with my other goats as I have 3 8 week old does in the pen with two wethers. So I thought I'd put my wether in w him and he will not leave him alone!! Stressed my boy out. Gotta keep him but what can I do?

I agree with that, your only bet is keeping him along side the others, he's probably lonely and stressed. He should calm down after he starts to feel comfortable, he's calling to his herd that you removed him from. I always side pen any new goat additions, and I always try to get two then they have a friend for life, though yours should be okay because he's a buck. Give him time, goats are a vocal species even on their best day.

I solved it! Yes I put him in the stall next to my other goats and now he's quit, still trying to hop out but can not :) as I put small wire on top so he can not exscape haha I figure he will calm down after a while. Going to build him his own pen that is strong and buck proof :)

I solved it! Yes I put him in the stall next to my other goats and now he's quit, still trying to hop out but can not
smile.png
as I put small wire on top so he can not exscape haha I figure he will calm down after a while. Going to build him his own pen that is strong and buck proof
smile.png

He NEEDS a buddy, not just being kept next to them. Give him one of the wethers. Just because a goat is a buck doesn't stop them from being a herd animal and requiring companionship like all other goats. Either keep a pair of bucks or a buck and a wether together.

All goats will tussle, headbutt, and work out the kinks when first introduced. And the buck will act bucky towards the wether, but they'll be fine.

He NEEDS a buddy, not just being kept next to them. Give him one of the wethers. Just because a goat is a buck doesn't stop them from being a herd animal and requiring companionship like all other goats. Either keep a pair of bucks or a buck and a wether together.

All goats will tussle, headbutt, and work out the kinks when first introduced. And the buck will act bucky towards the wether, but they'll be fine.
i can not put my wethers w him, one is a fainting goat and he made him go down. Very agressive buck towards wethers. Would not leave either alone just won't stop getting on them and stressing them out. He's fine now, better.

Ya like I said he is only 7 months old but extremly Bucky!! My other goats are terrified by him and he's not far from him, right in stall next to them and he can see them. I'm putting up his own outdoor run soon cause he needs to get out. He did have a pen but like I said it was to far from others.

Once rut is over he truly needs to be kept with a wether buddy for his long term well being. His behavior will be less intense. Just because you think he is being 'mean' doesn't mean he should be doomed to a life of solitude.

Of course my bucks smack on each other. It is what they do. They even bloody each other from time to time. But if I separate them, both are absolutely miserable. Being bucks doesn't stop their need for companionship.

Back
Top Bottom