My Buffs are scaredy cats and do not want to be touched

SarcasmPhD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Somewhere in the Lone Star.
Ok. My chicks are almost a week old. My Australorps and Barred Rocks are curious little things. I just tap on the floor of the brooder, and they literally come running. I can pick them up, no problem. However, the Buff Orpingtons will scurry to the far side of the brooder not wanting any human contact. I don't want to scare them, then making them afraid of me. Any help on how I can get the Buffs used to being around me, and my family allowing us to pick them up? Thank you.

Talk to them,don't try to.net put your hands in the cage,just talk.Once they feel calm,give them treats.If you can,put feed in your hand and allow them to eat from your hand.Time will come,just do t this as a routine,life has only begun for them.

Also,once they feed from your hand,take pointer finger,and gently rub them.If you have young children,I suggest you or another adult doing thisin a alone,quite place.

Thanks! Yeah, the Australorps and the Barred Rocks, they're very curious and friendly. I can rub their breasts when they get close, they peck at my hand, come when I tap on the floor of the brooder. But, those Buffs, they're gonna take some work. No worries. As for treats, I hung a baby carrot by a string to give them something to peck at. That is ok to do, right?

It should be.Chickens can take down very large peices of food.
The chicks I have had were once chubby girls.They were swallowing peices of bread almost as big as them.

Is the carrot soft?is the real question.A hard carrot could possibly hurt them and have them puke it up,I have had hens dothis.

Mine have all been skittish. The best thing I have found is putting some meal worms in my hand and laying it flat on the bottom of the brooder. Once they get used to my hands and associated them with treats, they are a little better. They still don't come to me unless I have food and will not willingly let me pick them up. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom