My business flops when it comes to incubating and hatching.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guinea fowl galore, Dec 29, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I've got my business set up so I hatch chicks on request. So far this is not working.
    (*PROOF: I just had a guinea keet die while writing this. The guy asked for eight, now I've got two with one egg piped that may or may not hatch. I feel like a criminal*). I originally (and still do) did the hatch on request thing because I don't have the room for a whole heap of chicks if they don't sell.
    What do you do? I need some ideas to make my business run smoother.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Do you only incubate the requested number of hatchlings or do you incubate 50% more eggs than requested? It seems like it would be difficult to incubate and hatch a specific number of eggs.. Unless you have had a very high percentage rate of success in the past?

3. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    To get this guys eight I put twenty-one eggs in. The fertility ended up being 50% due to the cock being young. But at candling I had eleven good eggs. Hatching is such a gamble, I just don't see how my way can work.

Do you reckon I should just hatch however, then sell what I've got and If I am desperate to get rid of some then sell them to the a produce store or something. Does that usually work?

4. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    well at one time i tried the hatching on demand and it worked for a bit. but i found as time went on and the chickens got older it wasnt working so well. so when i got my new batch of chickens i just started hatching everything and when i ran out of space and didnt have enough chicks to fill the next order then i would sell at the livstock auction and start fresh. during the summer at one point i had over 200 chicks. and by the time they were 3 days old i had 6 so i sold them at auction and i made more then i would of per chick

5. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Auctions sound like a good idea. I have Never been to one before though. I think I'll try to hatch a batch of chicks then see if I can sell them easily. If they do, then great, I'll keep doing it that way.
    I still feel really bad for this guy buying the guinea keets. I haven't told him his numbers have gone from three to two yet [​IMG] .

6. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    What type of incubator do you have? My hatch rates where not as good when I had the little giant incubators. But now I'm always in the 90%+ hatch rates with my GQF cabinet bators. Sometimes your hatches just don't go as expected though. Hope it gets better for you.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by