My Calico Cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Dec 2, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    What do you guys think? I absolutly LOVE the color!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Very beautiful birds.
    Is that what they are really called or is" calico "a nickname for them?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] OMGosh...that pullet especially is gorgeous. I could even go with a little more red in the mix...

4. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Thanks! In the black on the rooster there is a really deep red color and its beautiful!

5. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    What is the genetics of your pretty calico's? I have a golden laced rooster, 2 black pullets and 2 blues. Yours look splash with red leakage. I had splash Araucana roosters that color but the hens don't usually have the red too so I was wondering how you got the color if you don't mind to share. They are lovely!
    Cathy

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:You will have to use a mottled bird to get the coloration. The female is a black bird with red leaking through the black. It is the mottling gene that is causing most of the black to be changed to white.

You should get the same results by crossing mille fleur with mottled birds (you want to use mottled birds that have the exchequer type mottling) .

If you do not get birds that look like the female. Pick out the birds that are leaking the most red color with the most white and cross them- you should get some birds that look like the female.

Tim

7. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    Very pretty! I love the banty cochins. I lost my only hen last winter but hope to get another someday. That is a really neat color!

8. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    When I think of calicos I think it's a Millie fleur that is bleached out and has too much white. Do they breed true?

9. SeramasLovers

SeramasLovers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Wichita,Ks
    Beautiful [​IMG]

10. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thank you for the explanation, mine are standard cochins. If I can find a mottled hen, I'd love to try that with my GL rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by