My California Quail Hatching Adventure!

QuartzQuail

Chirping
May 23, 2021
I started my California Quail on May 11th (Day 0) and I except them to hatch around the 1st to the 3rd of June. I've done my best to constantly monitor humidity and temp levels using a fancy Bluetooth temperature hygrometer device that works with my phone. I'm basically trying to do this hatch by the book to get a good hatch rate. I've never accurately measured humidity before (And then I wonder why I was getting poor hatch rates *nervous laughter*). Anyways I don't candle my eggs much cause I'm a butterfingers and I don't want to slow their growth, but I quickly took one out and candled it via my phone. To my surprise I saw the big black eye of the baby quail moving around inside and my heart just about melted. I'll do my best to keep everybody updated, if you want updates!

Got my mini brooder all set up for them! I'm gonna move them to my large brooder once they're ready. I wanted to use both aspen and paper towels to give them some variety.
Brooder 1.jpg

So I decided to quickly and careful candle the eggs to pick out any bad ones cause I didn't wanna mess around with rotten eggs. So 12 looked pretty good. 10 were duds which were either cracked/unfertilized/barely developed. 2 of the eggs went into the maybe category. 50% good eggs is okay for eBay eggs maybe? I'm sure folks here wont be super surprised by that. It's a good thing the seller goofed up and sent me another dozen CA quail eggs by mistake.

So I decided to quickly and careful candle the eggs to pick out any bad ones cause I didn't wanna mess around with rotten eggs. So 12 looked pretty good. 10 were duds which were either cracked/unfertilized/barely developed. 2 of the eggs went into the maybe category. 50% good eggs is okay for eBay eggs maybe? I'm sure folks here wont be super surprised by that. It's a good thing the seller goofed up and sent me another dozen CA quail eggs by mistake.
I️ am currently in lock down with 4 California quail eggs. Last night 2 pipped, I’m still waiting for babies. Today is day 22, I️ really hope they are healthy and I️ can keep them alive 😅

I️ am currently in lock down with 4 California quail eggs. Last night 2 pipped, I’m still waiting for babies. Today is day 22, I️ really hope they are healthy and I️ can keep them alive 😅
Hello! That's great news! I'm still waiting too. I'm on day 23 and no pips yet. But I think I've seen one or two move. Just curious what humidity were you at before lockdown?

Hello! That's great news! I'm still waiting too. I'm on day 23 and no pips yet. But I think I've seen one or two move. Just curious what humidity were you at before lockdown?
Hi! All the research I️ did resulted in basically no info on levels of humidity. I️ kept them around 49% but it ranged from 45-55% right now the humidity is in the 70s for lockdown. I’m not sure what is considered a dry hatch, but much dryer than with my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom