My Carolina Coop

Pics
Last year I contacted Carolina Coops to see if they would sell me plans for their coop. Understandably, they declined. So I decided to build my version of their coop. I still spent way too much money on the coop, but it should outlive me with proper maintenance.

The entire structure is 12’ wide by 36’ long (coop is 12’x6’ and the run is 12’x30’). It has 3 12’ roost bars and two 5’ undivided egg hutches. I walled off the areaView attachment 2619979View attachment 2619980View attachment 2619981View attachment 2619982View attachment 2619983View attachment 2619984View attachment 2619985View attachment 2619986 underneath the coop to use for new additions and birds that need isolation.

It was a fun project that still needs a few trim details and a little more paint.

Twenty five Barred Rocks and Eater Eggers (and one EE rooster) enjoy free ranging in the little stand of trees around the coop.
Woahhhhhh 🤯 😮

Beautiful coop! I built one modeled after a Carolina coop also and it was difficult and as you say expensive. I have since come to realize our 8 hens and 2 Roos are pets as opposed to productive members of our family. Still awaiting our first egg but had I known then what I do now I’m not sure I would’ve embarked on this journey. We’re in our 60’s and I was thinking more of a producer and not an expense. We do love our birds but we have 4 dogs and a cat already. I did find an excellent tool for cleaning out the run (we use river sand) and it has made a big difference in time and effort.
6097EDFC-5D13-4214-81AB-EBDC805CA016.png

Beautiful coop! I built one modeled after a Carolina coop also and it was difficult and as you say expensive. I have since come to realize our 8 hens and 2 Roos are pets as opposed to productive members of our family. Still awaiting our first egg but had I known then what I do now I’m not sure I would’ve embarked on this journey. We’re in our 60’s and I was thinking more of a producer and not an expense. We do love our birds but we have 4 dogs and a cat already. I did find an excellent tool for cleaning out the run (we use river sand) and it has made a big difference in time and effort.View attachment 2802155
We use those to clean the poop out of the donkey shed.

Hoping someone can give me a little guidance. A hen has gone broody in one of the egg hutches and I’m allowing the process to play out. She’s been on them for about five days and I don’t know how many are under her. My question is what do I do when they hatch? North Texas in June seems to be fine as far as temperature goes but do I need to move the broody hen and the chicks to underneath the coop and close them in that area or let them stay upstairs in the coop? Will they figure it out and make it down the stairs on their own? This is my first time obviously. Thanks for any help.

Hoping someone can give me a little guidance. A hen has gone broody in one of the egg hutches and I’m allowing the process to play out. She’s been on them for about five days and I don’t know how many are under her. My question is what do I do when they hatch? North Texas in June seems to be fine as far as temperature goes but do I need to move the broody hen and the chicks to underneath the coop and close them in that area or let them stay upstairs in the coop? Will they figure it out and make it down the stairs on their own? This is my first time obviously. Thanks for any help.

Here's a useful link for you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rst-turkey-strut-to-weaning-the-chicks.76878/

Back
Top Bottom