My cat has a cold

geepy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
central FL
My cat has the sniffles. He's eating and drinking but he is sneezing. Of course my vet is closed on Wednesday so I'll have to wait till Thursday. He's worst then DH when he's sick. He has to drink out of the sink with running water (fresh water in his bowl). I know he don't feel good but getting up all hours of the night is like having a kid (daughter is 25) again. I love him to death but....
Since I was up I thought I'd vent a little.
hide.gif

My cat Socks had the sniffles bad once. The vet gave her bubble gum flavored children's strength liquid Amoxicillin. Boy that was fun.
But fortunately my other cat didn't catch it and she has been healthy ever since. She probably would have gotten better without the meds, but ya never know. It's probably possible to use something from the feed store instead, but my vet is really reasonable.

He's had it a couple of days and seemed better but today he is very clingy so I guess he's going to the vets. He's a very cool cat likes to ride in the car and walks on a leash like a dog. I know he doesn't feel well.

Poor kitty. I have had good success with the pink amoxicillin, when treating a cat with a cold. I hope that you survive till Thursday. My mom has had a couple of cats that insist on drinking on from the running water in the sink.

That nasty water in the bowl is undrinkable of course.
lau.gif

Just so you guys know, cats don't get "colds" the closest thing in the feline realm is an Upper Respiratory Infection, which can be pretty serious. This is assuming your cat has had all his vaccines and doesn't actually have a viral disease. You need to get him to the vet ASAP.

-Vet tech of many years.

Thanks for the link, he is going to the vets for sure, but he is eating good (weighs 20lbs.) Just grumpy and keeping me up at all hours. He is just a big baby. I know he's not feeling well.

My first Siamese got a URI so badly we had to take her to the emergency vet at midnite. She literally couldn't breathe, her sinus passages were so swollen. Cats can't breathe thru the mouth is what the vet told us and she was in real distress. After they got her more comfortable, we had to use baby nose drops on her for a couple days, plus the antibiotics. You think pilling or getting liquid meds into a cat is tough? Hah! Try putting in nose drops!
barnie.gif

Amoxi works a good portion of the time, but if not, you might ask about clindomycin (sp). My vet gave us that for my daughter Persian who had chronic sinus problems. Said it targets the nasal areas.
idunno.gif
It worked, that's all I know.

Back
Top Bottom